Small vibratory machine

Any one got a small vibratory machine for deburring they want shot off ?

One on ebay looks a bit small, but interesting Item number: 370010061476 Bob

Reply to
Emimec

On or around Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:21:19 -0000, "Emimec" enlightened us thusly:

now there's a phrase that could be misinterpreted.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As you say,it`s very small.I usually run ours about 30% product and the rest media.At that rate you would only get about 1.1/2 lbs of product in it. For a cheap rumbler get an empty Quality Street sweetie tin,they`re octagonal or similar,put the media,product and water in it,tape up the lid and put it in the lathe.Leave it running on a slow speed.Does the same thing and it`s free.

Mark

mark

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Particularly when it is small but interesting!

Seriously - had you noted that it is only 120 volt. This may not be a problem.

Reply to
Mike Whittome

Which tends to indicate it needs a 60Hz supply. It will act as a waste paper bin at 50Hz.

Reply to
Richard Edwards

And probably makes as much noise as our washing machine! Must replace the bearings AGAIN!

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Stone-washed jeans doesn't mean every time. :-

-- rss

----------------------------------------------------------------------- rsss's Profile:

this thread:

rsss

What do you use for media? Sounds a good cheap idea.

Reply to
SimonH

You can use anything abrasive as media.I use the moulded abrasive shapes but they are very expensive but quick to remove burrs.My rumbler holds about 200 litres and it cost =A3400 to buy the abrasives for it.Old broken up grinding stones work ok. Mark.

Reply to
mark

If you want to find abrasive media for fine finishes, try looking at gemmologist's suppliers - they do a lot of this kind of stuff (they call it "tumbling") to polish semi-precious stones.

Just occurs to me, I have a rotary photographic print processor sitting in the utility room which has had no use for years (since going mostly digital); would probably make quite a good tumbler.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

I've used a paint tin in the lathe chuck for many years, I'm sure the ringing in the ears will go !!! A clay flower pot as well, held in the chuck with a lid held in place with the revolving taper in the tailstock, worked well until it broke, and was quieter. Medium used varied from sand blast stuff, proper barrel stones, sand, and just the parts themselves. Works best with a baffle in the revolving can, or something fixed to the lid in the case of the flower pot. The Yankee one is too small, and a pain voltage, but interesting ........ maybe a couple of sizes up would be more practical, and may run of a builders 110v thing ? Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Well it would be quieter when the bits were scattered over the lathe bed and workshop floor rather than rattling around in a flower pot wouldn't it? :-)

Reply to
Peter Parry

If you need bigger,think cement mixer. Mark.

Reply to
mark

On or around Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:37:14 +0000, Peter Parry enlightened us thusly:

that's exactly what I was thinking.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Dipstick... it didn't break on the lathe, it got broken when left on the floor of the workshop.

Reply to
Emimec

Wot you wrote. :-)

Reply to
Tom

Depends how you read it

Reply to
Emimec

How did the bits get onto the lathe bed then? Ah, its in a garage pit ;-) now I understand!

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Only one way to read it, the way you wrote it.

Reply to
Tom

No problem then, makes sense. Not another launderette owner I hope?

Reply to
Emimec