Where to buy (hard?) brass bar?

I need some pieces of brass that will be machined down to a shape that's 45x40x17, so I need something a little bigger than that. Can anyone
suggest a supplier? Also, regular brass may mark a little too easily for this application - is there a harder brass that can still be milled without too much difficulty?
Dave
NoSpam wrote:

Dave, Try metal supermarket in Southampton. They are near the old southern TV studios. I normally use Clickmetal in Chandlers Ford for non ferrous stock but they don't list the size you want. For lots of other mail order suppliers use the materials link here http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk
Good luck
Bob
On 07/12/2011 20:16, Bob Minchin wrote:

Thanks Bob (again!)
On 07/12/2011 11:57, NoSpam wrote:

Inches ? (m)m ? Thou ?
Boo2
On 08/12/2011 16:57, Boo wrote:

OK, it's a fair cop (although it's hard to think of a home engineering application that would be in anything other than mm with those numbers)

At one time NASA made a similar assumption about the units of measurement, and we all know what happened to Challenger as a result.
Cliff Coggin.
Cliff Coggin wrote:

French mm's or German ones? I seem to recall a few problems with the first airbus prototype where the two halves would not join together ... and they were building more off the same plans :)
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
On 10/12/2011 09:24, Cliff Coggin wrote:

Challenger and occupants met their demise because of O rings in the SRBs being operated out of spec - methinks you're think of a Mars orbiter that fell foul of a "units" SNAFU.