Wiring the Workshop....Garage!

Hi, I'm not sure at the moment regarding a particular inverter for the ML7 but I live very close to Drives Direct, who also have a damned good web site. The current motor (1ph) is the original Crompton/Parkinson 3/4 hp motor, Drives Direct do a 'package' of a 3/4 hp phase inverter and 3 phase motor for £150. This is about the limit of how far the pennies will stretch at present. I thought about a remote stop/start/forward/reverse switching and a digital tachometer (as discussed in another thread on this forum) for determining actual RPM. The main thing, other than ultimate speed control, is that I would like to rid the lathe of the eternal "thump" when switching on the motor as it is at the moment. I thought that the MEM soft start switch was supposed to help in that respect !! The thing I'm not sure of with respect to the inverter package is whether I would need a mains filter to go with it. Ideally, I should be thinking of building an inverter from scratch as I have a good electronics background, but it may be easier to just buy the inverter ready to run. Any thoughts on any of the above would be most welcome. Brad

Reply to
Brad.

Now I AM worried ! I can probably see where you are coming from regarding the RCD may not provide protection on the output of the inverter. I will have to try and check this point out a.s.a.p. Has anyone got an answer to that one? Brad.

Reply to
Brad.

Thanks to everybody for their input. I've decided to go with MK meta

clads more because as the garage is new as part of the house extensio SWMBO has allowed me to put the purchase on the main bill. ;-) I mus say that plastic was never really a consideration for the sockets. I will probably be using plastic tube conduit although I have yet t decide from where. The sockets will be on a ring and will be fo 'casual' power tools. The single phase lathe and the 'inverted' thre phase mill I was going to spur from a dedicated RCD in the CU. Is tha OK? I was also going to separatly earth bond them with a single back t the CU. Good idea? I've not decided on singles or multi core yet. I must say the multicor seems the easier and cheaper option. Thanks again for all the discussion and input.. Ro

-- elj221

----------------------------------------------------------------------- elj221c's Profile:

this thread:

elj221c

you could save money with Ashley or Contactum but thats between you and SWMBO

Thank God for that! ;-)

No problem assuming that you have an additional RCD for the Ring.

Definately. I assume that you will be fitting a breaker for each with a local isolator to each machine.

Maybe cheaper but not necessarily easier. Depends on whether your ring is a "Ring" around the shop. If its an out and back ring via the same tube then singles will be easier IMHO. Do not forget to obtain sleeving for the earth wires if going the 6242Y option, and do not forget to bond each box. Given the use of tube again singles may be preferable allowing Ring and Machines supplies to be in the same tube. Do not stuff it too full though! All depends on your shop layout.

It was interesting to say the least! Mr Fawkes comment on MCB ratings was valid however If your Invertor controlled mill has a reasonable ramp time on start, Type B will probably be ok and cheaper. If Lathe is variable speed motor the same probably goes.

Reply to
Richard Edwards