You've never had it so good

Is that the old Cessna Plant? I worked there many moons ago, and lived in Freuchie.

-- Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Parkend G+S "Governments are like Nappies, they should be changed often." (For the same reason)

Reply to
Electricky Dicky

Interesting that.

GEC Liverpool where the Red-Spot fuseholders were made was sold to General Electric (USA) who moved production to Poland. Lead times for product has gone out from 7 days to weeks, and availability is erratic.

Now they are talking about restarting production in the UK or western Europe.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

No.The Cessna plant was Eaton Hydraulics.Two massive factories,both flattened about four years ago.Plant was dispersed to Havant,USA and India.My share of it came to Broxburn.:-) Re the red spot fuses.I have a busbar system that uses these in the plug in boxes,and I`m always looking for fuse carriers for it.I was in a scrap yard doing a repair to a machine when a skip full of brand new electrical spares came in.There was a load of brand new plugins in it,all unfortunately three prong and my system is four but I got all the fuse carriers. I hate working in these places.It`s hard not to come out with a lorry load every time I visit.

Reply to
mark

Once all the cheap labour around the world has priced itself out of the market, and we are no more expensive than the rest, perhaps manufacturing will return to Britain. Of course, we'll need someone to teach us how to do it

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

We throw away a lot of used but good holders from chargers and distribution boards that we have replaced, I can save them if you can use them...

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

Hi mark sorry for picking on your post ...but this answer is for all ..but yours mentioned the Hungarians ...so .

Think our country is only more productive due to circumstances ...

these days most workers are over a barrel with their mortgages ..

a 100,000 mortgage costing at least =A3500 a month over 20 years or so....and thats a low one . !!!...bottom of the ladder starter home..!!!

Our workers are threatened with their jobs if they don't become more productive etc ..

wonder if the Hungarians are over a barrel like this ...think not...or are they are in similar circumstances as to what we were in the 70's

when a majority of the workforce lived in council houses ...and didn't have that over the barrel feeling.

I could not imagine the shear stress and millstone feeling of starting a fresh again ...with a new mortgage like that ...

i ask you all ......DO WE HAVE IT SO GOOD........meaning not yourselves ..but the younger generation starting out..

its them poor buggers you should be thinking about not yourselves.

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

Hey don't blame us. Buying good old American iron as companies fail or go pure CNC is where I'm getting my machine tools.

Something similar must be happening on your side of the pond. Some of it may well be lend-lease along with domestic iron. Hopefully we sent you some decent stuff.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

'Twas a deep dark secret because we didn't want to offend anyone. But actually we melted down all of the lend lease stuff as it arrived in order to make decent tools.

Mark Rand (been spending too much time on rcm recently) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Oh PC gone mad, right? Tell me, would you work for £sodall a day, heath and safety or no health and safety?

You could remove all the employment legislation you like, but £sodall a day aint gonna sustaian family in a western economy, end of.

Blaming 'rights' is so missing the point. If you want to blame anything, then blame the Chinese, or Indians for being so poor they are willing to work for peanuts.

AC

Reply to
AC

But they are not working for 'local' peanuts. The wages in India are generally quite good by local standards. If anything blame the Marxist-Leninist culture which so effectively stifled growth and initiative for 50 years.

BEngo

Well we used to make some decent cast iron back then....

Reply to
Wes