ACS now has abstracts available to non-subscribers!

is an old idea that didn't turn out well when

Journal of Bacteriology, published by the American Society for Microbiology (ASM). Page charge is $65-92 per page (depending on membership and number of pages). It is not required for those without appropriate support. Publication costs are a normal item in grants. (NIH is probably the major funding source for publications in J Bact.)

I assume the policy is basically the same for all the ASM journals. ASM and its journals are of similar stature to ACS and its journals.

bob

Reply to
Bob

it is an old idea that didn't turn out well when

I know quite a bit aboutjurnal editing/publication costs. I've been President and Treasurer of a scientific society thta publishes a monthly journal, and I've edited a commercially-published journal. The page charges you mentioned won't begin to cover the actual costs.

Reply to
Marvin

it is an old idea that didn't turn out well when

and Treasurer of a scientific society thta

The page charges you mentioned won't begin to

That is correct.

As to authors paying "full" publication charges, in the open access model, this is still being debated. Some of the granting agencies are approving paying those charges. Unfortunately, there is still a gap, and even disagreement what the full charges should be.

bob

Reply to
Bob