Can all active properties be set by clicking on an object?

In Autocad 2004 is there a way to change you current layer, line weight, style, and color by clicking on a line that already has all the properties you want?
This rather than having to set them individually?
I think you can mandate all of these properties for a given layer 'by layer', but this is not what I'm talking about.
Thanks for your help.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Chek out the "Match Properties" feature.
Conny

style,
want?
layer',
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Conny Klasson wrote:

=============================================That seems to be for changing the properties of an existing object, not changing your active settings, unless I missed something.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
AI_MOLC sets your current layer to a selected object's - weight, style and colour should all be bylayer anyway...

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
message

Says Huw?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Everyone but architects. ;)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
*Some architects* (The anarchists and democrats).
It seems to me that the primary reason for grouping objects onto layers is not lineweight, it is visibility. Since the exigencies of plotting lineweights and controlling visibility will not always map 1:1, I see no reason to make unnecessarily restrictive rules in this regard. Most of the time I draw BYLAYER, but if it suits the purposes of legibility of plots and ease of use for the file, I respect no taboo about using other colors or linetypes, and would encourage others to liberate themselves of any such notion. In fact I would go one further, I would advise CAD users to investigate and use BYBLOCK color and linetypes in their standard blocks for maximum graphic flexibility. There's no reason why CAD plots have to look dull and flat just because someone thinks that everything has to be BYLAYER.
--


MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

I was teasing you and actually agree with you. In our work, non-bylayer settings are not often necessary and should be avoided when possible. For things like contours, there simply is no reason to use anything but bylayer for linetype, color, etc.
I guess it would be more appropriate for me to say something like "bylayer should always be used for object settings unless it is necessary to deviate". I've never liked that statement because it leaves too much wiggle room for the lazy cad operator.

Couldn't agree more about BYBLOCK. Seems to be an often misunderstood and/or ignored concept.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Too bad. The group's been a little dull lately, and I thought we could fight about this just to liven things up....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Shouldn't be too long............hehehehe.
FWIW, I DO hate agreeing with architects. ;)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Huw wrote:

==================================================="Weight, style and colour should all be bylayer anyway..."
I disagree entirely. The logic of your layers has traditionaly been mandated by Autodesk in this fashion. But the rest of the software world has been free to have different line weights on each layer, like every other vector based program in existence.
Autocad recognizing different line weights on each layer has been in a long time coming. How long did it take, 20 years? I'm really glad to see this. Autocad has finally matured to the point where it gains some respect from me. Geez, it took Autodesk ten years to implement external reference files. All this stuff was in Microstation since day one.
I'm glad, I'd say excited but that would be an overstatement, that Autocad is finally up to snuff for the most part.
So is there a command that lets me change my active draw settings to match an existing object? Or might we need to wait until the next release for this?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bruce W...1 wrote:

No, there isn't one built in. It would take about 5 lines of lisp code, with a little knowledge, though.
The rest of your post here shows your ignorance of Acad's capabilities. Acad had these settings since 2.6, at aleast, if I'm not mistaken. XRefing has been arounds since R9 or 10, maybe before that (that's over ten years ago).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hmm, yes, that's right, thats the AutoCAD way, first create with wrong properties than paint propertis from an object with correct properties...
Conny

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You're talking about setting properties BEFORE you draw the object.
Type PROPERTIES This will bring up your properties dialogue box. Set all the properties the way you want them (linetype scale, colour, layer, linetype, thickness etc.) Now draw your objects as normal.
DJE

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.