Low cost replacement for acrylic (PMMA)?

Since acrylic has increased in costs (as well as just all polymers), I'm looking for a lower priced substitute for it. I use clear PMMA sheets. I know of styrene, but it is more brittle, soft surface (scratches easier) and does not look as clean after molding/forming it. Most other clear plastics I've looked at are equal to or higher in cost. Thanks

-S

Reply to
SimonLW

I'm fairly sure Lucite International sells PS as well as PMMA sheets. Maybe they can recommend lowest cost solution.

Frank

What are your requirements? PMMA is pretty darn cheap as polymers go, though PS is even cheaper. The only thing that occurs to me is glass. But other than transpanency and scratch resistance you have given none of your requirmements.

Two possible alternatives are either a more expensive system that is thinner or redesigning the part.

Reply to
Joseki

Again, depending upon your needs and how clear you need the sheet, you might be able to use clarified polypropylene. The clarity won't be as good as PMMA but is acceptable for many applications.

Larry Effler

Reply to
Larry Effler