Orientations in PET films

I need to find out weather a PET film contains orientations or not. Which methods could be used to measure the orientations? Is there also a possibility to quantify the orientations?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Best Regards Markus

Reply to
Markus

Viewing it through crossed polars would work qualitatively, and then inserting a 1/4 wavelength plate would let you quantify it using Babinet or Senarmont compensation. You could also use x-ray diffraction.

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

As John says, crossed polars should work. I know that Mylar PET film is biaxially oriented. Don't know how it would look under crossed polars. I would assume film for use as is, is biaxially oriented. Film extruded for subsequent thermoforming is unoriented or maybe slightly oriented in the extrusion direction. Snipping small pieces and cold drawing by hand might indicate orientation too. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Reply to
Rolf Wissmann

Thank you very much for the quick answers!

Reply to
Markus