Polymers for use in the stomach

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here - so just to introduce myself, I am a chemical technician working in a large pharmaceutical company. I am studying part-time for a masters in materials science, which I am enjoying very much. As part of my course I have a project to complete on materials selection and design of a gastric balloon. These are devices inserted into the stomach of clinically obese patients, which inflate into balloons or bubbles that give the patient a feeling of being full thus reducing their appetite.

I have a lot of work to do on this (as I understand this application is particularly challenging due to polymer degradation) so I am not looking for someone to give me all the answers. What I would like however is to hear the experience of anyone who has been involved in sucha project and the particular challenges they faced.

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

Reply to
hartmanbobby

Stomach acid is "basically" 0.1 M HCl.

Consider a patent search. Patents tend to be full of lots of bragging and bravado, but after reading a few you can get a feel for what is real and what is not.

John Aspen Research -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek