Angled datum

I might have learned something today about new WF capabilities (if I hadn't missed something earlier). Seems like it was always the case that to create an angled datum, you needed to pick some references in a certain order. If I'm not mistaken, that order was axis first, datum reference second. Not so, now, in WF3 (maybe earlier?) Now, hold down the Ctrl key, pick the datum and you immediately get an Offset datum; pick the Axis next and you get the angled reference. Or vice versa, axis first, datum second still works. But, now, the order seems not to matter as long as you hold down that Ctrl key first (maybe not necessary when you pick the axis first?)

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

missed something earlier). Seems like it was always the case that to create an angled datum, you needed to pick some references in a certain order. If I'm not mistaken, that order was axis first, datum reference second. Not so, now, in WF3 (maybe earlier?) Now, hold down the Ctrl key, pick the datum and you immediately get an Offset datum; pick the Axis next and you get the angled reference. Or vice versa, axis first, datum second still works. But, now, the order seems not to matter as long as you hold down that Ctrl key first (maybe not necessary when you pick the axis first?)

Or if it comes up as parallel or normal you can just use the drop-down menu to change it to offset. You always need to hold down the Ctrl key when you pick references for a datum plane now, or it will just forget the old one each time you pick a new reference.

Reply to
graminator

On May 12, 10:41 pm, "David Janes" wrote: > I might have learned something today about new WF capabilities (if I hadn't missed something earlier). Seems like it was always the case that to create an angled datum, you needed to pick some references in a certain order. If I'm not mistaken, that order was axis first, datum reference second. Not so, now, in WF3 (maybe earlier?) Now, hold down the Ctrl key, pick the datum and you immediately get an Offset datum; pick the Axis next and you get the angled reference. Or vice versa, axis first, datum second still works. But, now, the order seems not to matter as long as you hold down that Ctrl key first (maybe not necessary when you pick the axis first?) >

Or if it comes up as parallel or normal you can just use the drop-down menu to change it to offset. You always need to hold down the Ctrl key when you pick references for a datum plane now, or it will just forget the old one each time you pick a new reference.

Yup, if you're going to pick the DATUM first, ya gotta hold down the Ctrl key. If you pick the AXIS first, hold down the Ctrl key next and pick the datum plane. In the first case, you need to hold the ctrl key so it doesn't think you want to create the new datam THROUGH the first datum. The Ctrl key gives you the OFFSET (or Angled, with the Axis pick). Depends on what you pick FIRST! Axis first, you don't need the Ctrl key; datum first, you do.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes