CAD & creativity

Hi everyone,

Is CAD affecting your ability to be creative? I would like to invite you to participate in a survey to help me find out. The link below will take you to a short online survey that should take 5-10min to complete. It's part of an academic research project looking at the ways CAD can affect the way we do our work and solve engineering problems. I can provide anyone who is interested with a summary of the results.

Thanks very much,

Brett Robertson

CAD designer & PhD student

University of Queensland, Australia

Reply to
Brett Robertson

Sure it does. And it affects the outcome a lot, too.

CAD designs are pretty often questionable aesthetically, because predetermined by the features and flaws of CAD - esp. when these complex and powerful tools are left to some (more or less) trained monkeys.

Walther

Reply to
Walther Mathieu

Brett,

I'd post this to the following sites...they get alot of traffic and I'm sure you get a lot of responses.

Brad Hacker ME CAD Admin Zebra Technologies Corp.

Brett Roberts> Hi everyone,

Reply to
Hacks

Brett, could you, in any way, demonstrate that your "survery" has anything to do with "cad", "creativity" or "research", as, sort of, an inducement to my venturing into this uncharted territory!?! (One seems to be able to find nothing about it without actually TAKING it!! Odd, wouldn't you say). Perhaps, you might also be so bold as to state the parameters of your investigation ~ your assumptions, your conceptions (e.g., what do you understand CAD to be), your goals. The stated aims seem about as mushy as any design study I've ever come across, (including the one for cold fusion) though I'm sure yours are better formulated than they seem. In the event that your goals/methods seem reasonably scientific, I'd be happy to participate, as I'm a "CAD" junkey-monkey and have done all of my best work with it.

Reply to
David Janes

David,

The first page of the survey should answer your questions. At this stage I don't want to be any more up-front about my assumptions/conceptions than I have been, as this would bias the results. I want to know what you think, not tell you what I think.

By the way, I've had over 100 responses so far with only a couple of (very minor) negative comments. Thanks again to everyone who has contributed! I'll post the results to those who are interested soon.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Robertson