Can use Win 98 with a Precision M40 workstation laptop?

Hi, I've been doing online research on the M40 because I want to find out if I can install Win 98 on it (and then Win XP later on). I need to be
able to install Win98 on it so I can run an older program that I can't put on my Win XP desktop. I'd appreciate any info. I looked it up on Dell site and it doesn't have any info on OS for the unit. Thank you. D. Saunders
"D. Saunders" wrote:

Do you want to install Pro/ENGINEER under Windows 98? I think that will not work.
you may run into system issues where pro won't work due to some variables 98 sets and pro doesn't like. there have been quite a few post from people that don't do a clean install from 98 to win2k or xp and the pro xtop icon flashes but dosen't fire up.
D. Saunders wrote:

: Hi, : I've been doing online research on the M40 because I want to find out : if I can install Win 98 on it (and then Win XP later on). I need to be : able to install Win98 on it so I can run an older program that I can't : put on my Win XP desktop. I'd appreciate any info. I looked it up on : Dell site and it doesn't have any info on OS for the unit. Thank you. : D. Saunders
The M40's been out for a while. It originally came installed with W2K. You can install W2K, WinME, Win98 or XP on any machine with a 32-bit processor (i.e., not one with an Intel 64-bit [Itanium] processor). Win98 is on the upgrade path to XP, so upgrading should be no problem ~ wasn't when I did it. The only problem running Pro/e on an upgraded machine is a left-over system variable from Win98 called WINBOOTDIR= which needs to be removed so baby isn't confoozed by that nasty ole variable. Amazing how easy it is to confuse the geniuses at PTC and their elite, top-shelf, 'engineering' software. {I wonder, could someone possibly 'reengineer' PTC to yank their over-sized heads out of their tight asses?}
David Janes