Can use Win 98 with a Precision M40 workstation laptop?

Hi,
I've been doing online research on the M40 because I want to find out
if I can install Win 98 on it (and then Win XP later on). I need to be
able to install Win98 on it so I can run an older program that I can't
put on my Win XP desktop. I'd appreciate any info. I looked it up on
Dell site and it doesn't have any info on OS for the unit. Thank you.
D. Saunders
Reply to
D. Saunders
Do you want to install Pro/ENGINEER under Windows 98? I think that will not work.
Reply to
Johannes Pietsch
you may run into system issues where pro won't work due to some variables 98 sets and pro doesn't like. there have been quite a few post from people that don't do a clean install from 98 to win2k or xp and the pro xtop icon flashes but dosen't fire up.
D. Saunders wrote:
Reply to
Boltman
: Hi, : I've been doing online research on the M40 because I want to find out : if I can install Win 98 on it (and then Win XP later on). I need to be : able to install Win98 on it so I can run an older program that I can't : put on my Win XP desktop. I'd appreciate any info. I looked it up on : Dell site and it doesn't have any info on OS for the unit. Thank you. : D. Saunders
The M40's been out for a while. It originally came installed with W2K. You can install W2K, WinME, Win98 or XP on any machine with a 32-bit processor (i.e., not one with an Intel 64-bit [Itanium] processor). Win98 is on the upgrade path to XP, so upgrading should be no problem ~ wasn't when I did it. The only problem running Pro/e on an upgraded machine is a left-over system variable from Win98 called WINBOOTDIR= which needs to be removed so baby isn't confoozed by that nasty ole variable. Amazing how easy it is to confuse the geniuses at PTC and their elite, top-shelf, 'engineering' software. {I wonder, could someone possibly 'reengineer' PTC to yank their over-sized heads out of their tight asses?}
David Janes
Reply to
David Janes