CHECKING CONSTRAINTS

You're in WF4 with the new Dashboard assembly functionality. You've just imported an assembly and created a bunch of components, none of which are assembled with Pro/e's typical three constraints. All are simply placed in some default orientation. So you've gone through each and manually applied constraints. Now you want to check that you got everything. I don't know a global way of doing this, but I discovered the following. A new assembly feature is created 'Placement' which you can see as the first feature of the component, by clicking on the plus sign next to the component. Right away, if you don't see this new feature, you know you haven't applied constraints. So, you can just go through the assembly, clicking the plus next to each component and see if it has a 'Placement' feature.

Also, of interest, is the fact that you can use this new 'Placement' feature to see how you've constrained components. The 'Placement' feature also has a plus sign which expands to a 'Set#' which expands to a graphical list of individual constraints. Wonderfully, highlighting a constraint lights up the involved surfaces in the model. This is a very nice quick check without having to select the component and do 'Edit>Definition'. It is so nice that it makes one wonder why they didn't think to have a RMB menu item called 'Show constraints'.

David Janes

Reply to
JANES

Now this is EXTREMELY handy. We are constantly importing STEP assemblies from other users who drew them in CoCreate.

I will forward this to my coworkers... thanks a lot!!

Reply to
Lehnsherr