force dimension (pro/e)

Hi all! I'm a newbie in cad/cam. I have a question, how in the drawing force ProE to set some dimension, which substitute those one program pick from model. I've tried switch @D to @O in dimention preferences (i've heard its working, but it's not.) The message is "This symbol is invalid". Any suggestions? Thanks, Tomasz

Reply to
pk3

BTW i have WildFire2.0

Reply to
pk3

Being unfamiliar with a program, concepts and the terms used makes communication difficult so maybe it would be best to avoid additional complications and try to find a native language forum?

Driving / Shown dim; no can do. Driven / Created dim; a newbie should always be asked: Do you understand why overriding dimension values is poor practice?

In dimension PROPERTIES; replacing @D with @O (the alpha character) followed by the string or &symbol_name you want to show should work unless there's a config option that I've forgotten about which prevents it. If there isn't maybe there should be. `;^)

Reply to
Jeff Howard

I think it's actually worked out pretty well when people write in their native language and invite answers in that language. It's worked out pretty well in Polish, in a couple cases I can remember, Italian and French, as well. The English speakers are left out but it's not that often. On the other hand, I agree with Jeff: non-English speakers seem to think (like a lot of Enlish speakers I've heard trying to speak another language) that they'll be better understood if they talk very fast and in short, choppy phrases. Not the case, I guarantee. Better, if you have a poor grasp of a language, to say "more" than you think is enough. If you repeat the same thing, six times, six different ways, eventually we'll get it.

What I object to most strongly is people, who declare themselves to be newbies, coming here and telling me what pro/e problem they're having. I really don't care what Pro/e problem you're having. All I care about is what you're trying to accomplish, where you're trying to get, what problem you're trying to solve. We can probably tell you six better ways to solve a problem than whatever you've come up with. Or, if you're going through a tutorial, we need to know which one, which lesson, what page and what you think it says to do. I can tell you in a second if it even begins to make sense or if you've misunderstood it completely and what you've misunderstood. BTW, as soon as I hear about difficulties using the override symbol, I immediately think that someone's used a zero instead of the letter o (a confusion which some tutorials, including PTC's, actually point out ~ naturally, they wouldn't, knowing this, go so far as to actually solve the problem by making it a different letter, like x, which mo one will mistake for something else). Another point on this subject of using overrides: it is NOT a dimension when you do @o15.75, it is just text, a string of ASCII characters, non-parametric, literal, unchanging when the part changes. And, as Jeff points out, dangerous as hell; best NOT used by newbies. If you found it in a tutorial, fine, now you know what it does. But,. for professional use, be backed into a corner with no other way out than using the override symbol.

We're still not sure he needs @o; maybe he really needs @s so that when he changes the default dimension sysmbols (D5, D14, R2, sd4, etc) to something more descriptive like boss_length, pilot_dia, cbore_depth, these will show up on, say, a family table drawing, where you want to show general height, width and other properties of the generic part and want people to know what physical properties the column headings in the table are associated with. So, when you show dimensions governed by @s, you will see the dimension Symbol names instead of the numeric dimension.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Just create a new dimension. You must be using "show/erase" to "show" the dimension. Erase it, then create a new & then use the @o & it will work.