Installing ProE W/F 2 On Multiple Workstations

Hi Gang

We are running on Windows XP and are running ProEngineer Wildfire 2. What I want to do is copy my installation of ProEngineer (c:\ProEngineer\*.*) and place all these files on a network drive. Then I want to create a batch file or windows command script that copies all these file to a designers workstation. If I do this will ProE run properly on the designers workstation? Is there a better way to do this? Running around to each workstation to install ProE is a huge pain.

Thanks Andy

Reply to
Andy

Install the software on your server, then run PTCsetup on each workstation with the file on the server. You now have 1 installation and all workstations can access the program. I do this with almost 100 workstations and laptops. Upgrades to new builds are a snap, just upgrade the server and everyone now has the latest set of bugs/fixes.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

You can make it work by running ptcsetup on each workstation after you copy the files to it. I just did the same thing this week and was pleased with the results. I have been installing from cd images stored on the network for years already which works almost as well.

I tried running everything over the network and it seemed to work fine. Pro/E could always be run this way but in the olden days they always said that it was not the "right" way to do it. However, it has been suggested that you install the help files on the network and each workstation can use the same files. I have tried this and the reduction in installation time alone is worth this option.

Reply to
KP

Make a custom CD using the install option and select just the options you want and copy it to a network directory. Pick a standard workstation and generate a PTC.Setup trail file using setup.exe -uilog and then creat a batch file to run setup.exe -uitrail . Have everyone one run the batch file and you're done.

Its all in the Installation and Administration Guide.

PCoyote

Reply to
pcoyote