ProE on Debian

I am trying to install Wildfire2 on a Debian (Sarge, 2.4.27 kernel). I have copied the contents of the CD to a temporary directory, then run the ./setup. I get the following error message(s) from both Flexlm and the ProE install script:

"extraction error from source archive /ptcsh0/ptc72.tgz" and the same for ptc18.tgz, pct19.tgz ...

Is it as simple as moving to the /ptcsh0 directory and manually extracting these files?

I've seen Wzzl's (and a couple others) posts stating he has ProE up and running on a Debian install so I know it's possible.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody might provide.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire is only supported für RedHat Linux.

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes Pietsch

Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire is only supported for RedHat Linux.

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes Pietsch

While I agree support is for Redhat Linux only, the error message seems to indicate a bad CD. Any operating system can decompress a "tgz" file. This stands for a "tar" "gnu-zipped" file, which is the equivalent of a zipped (.zip) file in the windows word. If it was a compatibility problem with the OS, you would get an error message that a "xxxxx.so" library cannot be found.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Gress

I understand that PTC only supports Redhat installation but some people seem to have gotten it up and running on Debian (ref. Wzzl from

19 Oct '04 and Dr. Peter Long from 22 Mar '04 this group).

Thanks Paul. It seems to be unzipping most of the files. I only get errors with specific files- ptc72.tgz, 18, 73, and 19 when installing flexlm. I can unzip them manually so it isn't a corrupted file problem. I suspect it is something in the install script.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I had a similar errors when Installing Wildfire on my Sun Blade 100 Workstation, where at the end of the install, it listed all the files it couldn't install. I then re-burned the cd, then didn't have those errors. Does the installation work now? Also, why can you only unzip most file then a few you can't. What shell are you running? Most Linux scripts require to be run from the "bash" shell.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Gress

Copying the contents of the entire cd to a temp dir does the same as your re-burn of the cd. The install script failed to unzip the files. I was able to unzip all the files by hand and move them to /usr/local/ptc/ . The installation seems to be working now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I got it up and running on my Debian setup by apt-getting motif3 (non-free) for a lib dependency and manually installing the .tgz files that wouldn't install with the setup script.

ProE is now running about 3 to 5 times faster (rendering times) than the windows install on the same machine. Woohoo!

Mark

Reply to
Mark