Part color (WildFire)

Hello...

How do i change the color of a part in ProE Wildfire? I want to change the color so that different parts have different colors in the assembly...

Best Regards...

JLL

Reply to
Jesper Libak Larsen DTU

You normally go to View -> Color and Appearance, but I find that sometimes (most of the time?) it is greyed out? Is this a bug or feature, or am I missing something?

Also go to View -> Display Settings -> Model Display and make sure 'Colors' is checked.

Cheers

Scott

Reply to
scott

Hi Scott...

It seems that "color and appearance" is only accessable when working with assembly's...

But hey... that'll work for me!!! :-)

So thank you for your help!

Best regards:

JLL

Reply to
JLL

Well for me it seems to work if I only have one part open. If I open more than one part then I need to close them off and Erase them all before the Color and Appearance is valid again on a part. This has been really frustrating and time-wasting.

Scott

Reply to
scott

: > It seems that "color and appearance" is only accessable when working : > with assembly's... : >

: > But hey... that'll work for me!!! :-) : >

: > So thank you for your help! : >

: > Best regards: : : Well for me it seems to work if I only have one part open. If I open more : than one part then I need to close them off and Erase them all before the : Color and Appearance is valid again on a part. This has been really : frustrating and time-wasting. : Both Scott and Jesper, make sure the config.pro option color_windows is set to all_windows. This one has screwed up an awful lot of very intelligent people when set to one_window. The reason in may work in assembly is that all the parts are available in that 'one_window'. However, in part mode, you will be limited to applying color to the first window you open. If in an additional window, you will neither be able to apply colors nor to modify the 'color and appearance' color palette. It may even give you error messages to the effect the color palette is full.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

David - Thanks once again... That's one thing about Pro/E is that there is so much flexibility that there is a lot of work to get this stuff right. Why would anyone possibly not want colors in more than one view!!?? The other one that got me was the decimal point being a comma... PTC should have a config.pro writing service...

-D

David Janes wrote:

snip

Reply to
meld_b

Thanks David, that's just the trick. What a silly option!

Cheers

Scott

Reply to
scott

Parts in some model colours don't show up well when working on the part. For example, if you colour a black-anodized part to look approximately correct, it's real hard to work on the part. There are other ways of turning colour off temporarily (at least in 2001, I assume wildfire also) but some might prefer colour off permanently for the part windows.

Reply to
WoofWoof

But the problem I had was that you couldn't change the colours in some windows. The colours still showed up, a green part would still be green, you just couldn't change it.

In Wildfire you can just go to Display Settings -> Model Display to turn colour off and make everything grey.

Scott

Reply to
scott

: Why would anyone possibly not want colors in more than one view!!??

CPU/GPU optimization ~ or how to be able to keep a lot of windows open without killing the system. And one way preferred, back in the day, was to prevent secondary windows from engaging the 'color and appearance' functions. So, while it might have been wanted, it was found to be too great a drag on processor performance.

: PTC should have a config.pro writing service...

Yeah, Pro/e configuration is so complicated that Rand and a bunch of local bureaus made a good living on installation/traning/configuration. Until about rev 20, you didn't even get the description, now available, for what the options mean. The whole business needs rethinking and simplification; and it needs to shift to a more gui based approach rather than the generic ascii text file approach based on catering to half a dozen different Unix systems. I get into this stuff because I'm a tool maker and I need to understand the tools I'm using. But I'd much prefer using the program to design stuff than to spend enormous amounts of time trying to figure out 'options' so that it will do what it's supposed to.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

: > Both Scott and Jesper, make sure the config.pro option color_windows : > is set to all_windows. This one has screwed up an awful lot of very : > intelligent people when set to one_window. : : Thanks David, that's just the trick. What a silly option! : Ah, but Scott, you are missing the fun, the romance, the joi de vivre of Pro/GOOFY, the secret joke module inside of Pro/e. What a ripping good time! Keeps you on your toes, doesn't it! Just when you are getting cocky, getting to think you know the program pretty well and can do an average days work with it, POW!!, slammed by Pro/GOOFY. Yuk, yuk, what a great gag, like sticking your two year old's fingers in the finger cuffs. I can just see the cynical and not a little jaded programmers sitting back in eager anticipation of the complaints that will come pouring in over that little joke and how smug they'll feel to be able to set us straight. Actually, Pro/GOOFY plays a big role in Pro/e and I'm sure provides endless fun and entertainment to PTCers, right up until they check the quarterly report.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes