Problem in Importing sketch

When i am importing the sketch from one file to other file form sketch>data form file>.... the snap point is automatically taking the geometric center of the sketch. Is there any option to snap a particular vertex in the sketcher.

Reply to
ramumaddi

When i am importing the sketch from one file to other file form sketch>data form file>.... the snap point is automatically taking the geometric center of the sketch. Is there any option to snap a particular vertex in the sketcher.

Reply to
ramumaddi

When i am importing the sketch from one file to other file form sketch>data form file>.... the snap point is automatically taking the geometric center of the sketch. Is there any option to snap a particular vertex in the sketcher.

Reply to
ramumaddi

When you save the section in the first place you can prepare it for secondary use by inserting a coordinate point into it before saving. You can also import the sketch, adjust scale and the pick up the centre of the sketch [the circle with the cross in it] with the Right mouse button and move it to where you want it within the import before picking LMB to move to place in the sketch. Either way it needs to be prepared to have datums at the relevant points.

Reply to
kenny

Good tip Kenny, thanks.

I don't suppose there's anything similiar [defining the reference point] we can do with an .ai from Illustrator though?

Sean

Reply to
Sean Kerslake

The actual problem is when i am importing the snappble point itself is taking as geometric centre of the drawing, in autocad when we copy it will ask base point. I am looking for similar option in Pro/e is it possible. Is there any other way

Reply to
ramumaddi

Don't think so. Just drop the imported section anywhere and finalize placement by using either dimensions or sketcher constraint(s).

(If you had weak dims in the saved sec you might want to set Selection filter to Dimensions, window select and Lock before you try to move anything around.)

Reply to
Jeff Howard

We may be talking at cross purposes here but I did say that the snap point can be moved with RMB before moving to the proe location, which clearly you need to set up before it can be placed.

Reply to
kenny

Oh, yeah, very nice. That makes those section files about a 1000 times more useable!!! Even just the right click drag of the snap point. But now, in WF3, maybe you've noticed that you have a choice of "System" and "Palette", so, as another shortcut, there must be some way to add these sections to a "tool set" (anyone know how?) In WF3, you can drop the sketch anywhere, then perform all the functions of moving the snap point, drag moving it, scaling and rotating the thing till you get it the way you want it. Then, click the green check mark on the Scale Rotate menu manager interface and the sketch import is finalized. But, you can still change dimensions and constraints. When did this come in, anyway? Have I been using Wildfire for the last couple years and didn't know this was there!

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

I made a dummy move in a sketch once and found that the snap point moved and then spent frustrating hours trying to recreate this. Isn't that the way one makes discoveries?! Any sketch created and saved in the working directory will appear under a tab in Palette with the other predefines, otherwise I don't think theres much difference between the two sources. There are a number of options for palette settings.

Reply to
kenny

Yup, far too often just aping around, uninteneded consequences! And I'm too stupid or stubborn to give up so sometimes, unwittingly, I make discoveries. The last one was that you could copy a feature (^C) and, with paste (^V), get something like a UDF placement interface that's a lot more user friendly and helpful than UDFs every were.

Well, I was wondering because the Help files talk about some kind of maybe directory structure that turns up as tabbed pages on the palette interface. But it also sounded like maybe it ought to come set up this way (oh, wouldn't that be nice if PTC developed some functionality and actually provided some content!) but I'm guessing, from what you say, that they don't provide this.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hey, I finally tried the sketcher section palette instead of just blabbing about it. Well, I was wrong about not coming with content. There's about 30 predefined sections in 4 tabbed pages (Polygon, Profile, Shapes, Stars), selectable by double clicking and moving over the sketch (shows up as a plus sign). Click to drop and adjust with move/scale/rotate handles. Also, your current working directory will be added as a tabbed page if there are any .SEC files in it. You can also move all your sections into a dedicated directory and call it out in config.pro with sketcher_palette_path and browsing to it. And to make this even more convenient, there's a new palette icon on the sketcher toolbar to launch the palette interface. This is new, I believe, to WF 3 and could turn out to be one of the best new features in the release. BTW, anyone know if you can add to or modify the predefined sections?

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hey, that's cool!

Reply to
graminator

Hey, that's cool!

Yeah, I keep thinkin I ought to take an update course.

Reply to
David Janes