Question about CAD sales reps !

I think you should stick to used cars.

Reply to
mistletoe

We are always looking for additional sales people.

Learn more about our products at:

e-mail me at davidhbigelow [at] simplifiedlogic.com

Dave

Reply to
davidhbigelow

Hello,

The reason I am writing is because I am being offered a job for selling Pro-E software here in Canada.

I have plenty experience in technological sales (Software/IT /Telecom) but have only limited experience in engineering and CAD software.

Some friends of mine taught me a bit of Autocad and 3D Studio Max a few years ago but thats about it....

Do you think it is feasible for someone like me to be successful at this job ?

I am willing to learn quite a bit about Product development and data management etc. but I am feeling intimidated by this field.

So I would like to hear your opinion please ;-)

Thanks !

Reply to
Yul

I work as a CAD coordinator for a large company and when it comes to CAD/PDM systems we have them all. In my daily work i sometimes have to deal with sales people that dont have a clue about the everyday use of the CAD/PDM software they'r selling. This can be very frustrating so give us a breake and stick with cars.

Reply to
huggre

Would buy alot of money on a product from a salesperson that has never used a product??

Reply to
LouR

Would you buy a product which isnt cheap by any stretch from a saleperson that only knows how to spell ProE??

Reply to
LouR

Yul, your not going to learn and fully understand this software in short time, learning is only part of it. doing actual designs understanding, fabrication of parts is a total different story. many customers will have technical questions which you can only answer from first hand knowledge. I have found all Proe Sales people are quite versed with the software. they can show shortcuts and alternate ways of doing many processes. this as you know comes from being a well versed user. ProE is not that user freindly. Autocad and 3d Studio Max doesnt even come lose to the power of ProE. by the way its called Wildfire Now.

Reply to
LouR

That doesnt mean I cant learn about it and be very knowledgeable.

I already started reading about the basic applications of 3D modelling in the industry and its no secret.

I wont solve any engineering problems at the beginning but could easily provide you with meaningful answers in no time.

What else would be required ?

huggre wrote:

Reply to
Yul

On another note, how much does your usage of Pro-E depend on a PLM and DPM strategy ?

Maybe this is the most important notion for me to grasp right ?

Yul wrote:

Reply to
Yul

What's the difference between a used car salesman and a CAD/PDM salesman?

(scroll down for answer)

The car salesman knows when he is lying.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

I dont want to be a break your balls here Yul, just make sure you have a experienced, highly skilled technical person with you when you go ut selling and learn as you go along.

Good luck

Reply to
huggre

I used to work for a PTC reseller here in Denmark. FWIW, it seems to more a question of skills in selling technical "stuff". By which I mean, if your background is in retailing ladies undergarments, this is not much help. If, however you are comfortable in a technical environment, your employer should be able go give you sufficient knowledge of the product to cope.

Now, dealing with PTC is _quite_ another can of worms. That's the bit the AE really does not want to handle. If you can do the paperwork after the sale so that it all goes through without a hitch so that the customer actually gets the correct license quickly, your AE will do the technical bits quite happily, and you are well on the way to fame & glory.

Note: the situation _may_ be better on the other side of the pond, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Regards, Steve.

Yul wrote:

Reply to
Steve Borland

Yeah, the company is filled with highly skilled engineers and is a authorised PTC reseller and trainer.

I was just a bit scared initially because I didnt know much about the industry. Now, on my own, I have learned about 3D modelling, CAD/CAM applications, PLM and PDM etc... if this is relevant I dont know yet.

I am just wondering how much more do I need to know about the application and the industry before I can become proficient....

Thanks !

huggre wrote:

Reply to
Yul

I used to work for a PTC reseller as well, and I have to agree with most of the posts here.

Repeatedly I had to put out fires started by salespeople who would just say "yeah, pro/e can do that" to customers in order to close the sale, while what they were really selling them was a stripped down package that didn't do half of what they said it did. It was my job to try and find a way to make the cheap package do what they wanted, and if that wasn't possible, nicely tell the customer that they need to dish out another 7 grand. Needless to say I don't work there anymore, and when I burned that bridge I made sure to piss on the ashes.

All you will be doing as a sales rep is cold calling customers, running through predefined scripts (watch Boiler Room). You've been there with IT sales, it seems. Except now, the people you are bugging actually have work to do. The sales proposal process is nothing more than cutting and pasting descriptons of modules.

Reply to
GBD