search_path

I have the prt part in several folders (and also in subfolders). It is posibl that ProE WF will search all folders in case of assembly ?

Hi "Mariusz",
Yes indeed, it's possible. Create a text file named search.pro. List all folder paths and sub-folder paths where you keep ProE files therein, eg. like this:
H:\Work\projekt\7031 H:\Work\projekt\7031\widgets H:\Work\projekt\7031\hinges H:\Work\projekt\7034 H:\Work\projekt\7037 H:\Work\projekt\7038
Insert as many lines as needed. I have about forty path lines in my search.pro, I don't know if there's any limit for the number of lines in this file.
In config.pro file insert line:
search_path_file search.pro
This line tells ProE where search.pro file is located. Above done, ProE will be able to locate files stored in several folders. This is kind of a poor man's intralink, it works great however.
You can put the search.pro file anywhere, insert folder path though if it's not in the same folder as config.pro file (eg. search_path_file D:\work\search.pro).
- Jarkko -
Search.pro will solve this problem. I was wondering does anyone know how to make the search.pro files scan all subdirectories under the folder? Could it be a config.pro issue I have looked and looked.
Example
x:/holder x:/endmill
instead of
x:/holder/lathe x:/holder/mill x:/endmill/250 x:/endmill/325 x:/endmill/500 x:/endmill/625
Thanks
Haven't tried it with search.pro, but UG will search sub-folders by using ... at the end of the line. c:\parts... will search c:\parts and all sub-folders (maybe c:\parts\...).
--
Ben Loosli
"shaun" < snipped-for-privacy@pmp-elcajon.com> wrote in message

Seach.pro is a convenience to keep from glutting your config.pro with a ton of path names. If you have only a few, they can just as easily be the option data for a series of search_path statements in config.pro, so you could have search_path H:\Work\projekt\7038. It merely requires, as does mapkey, a separate statement for each of the path names.
A word of caution: the paths are searched not only for parts in an assembly but for every new part created or part renamed. Since this search_path functionality arose to substitute for a real data and configuration management system (like Pro/PDM or Intralink or TeamCenter or iMAN), it took on entire directory structures, trying to use system resources to be a CM system. Have you done a file search on XP, starting from the root directory? Remember how long that took? Pro/e, searching a complicated directory structure, is worse; it'll completely hose your system, so be careful.
Sean, the type of search you're hoping for is available.... in Pro/LOCATE, a simple find utility within Intralink. You need a better data management system when you're making that kind of demand on it! (Oh, the pain! Oh, the anguish! when you tell them they've got to cough up a couple grand.) It's peanuts and they should embrace the 20th/21st century and quit making such an unseemly fuss about a little money. Their triffling financial woes will not bring a twitch, an itch to the US economy much less the end of Western Civilization. Tell them to quit being so melodramatic and pony up.
David Janes