search_path

I have the prt part in several folders (and also in subfolders). It is posibl that ProE WF will search all folders in case of assembly ?

Reply to
Mariusz

Hi "Mariusz",

Yes indeed, it's possible. Create a text file named search.pro. List all folder paths and sub-folder paths where you keep ProE files therein, eg. like this:

H:\Work\projekt\7031 H:\Work\projekt\7031\widgets H:\Work\projekt\7031\hinges H:\Work\projekt\7034 H:\Work\projekt\7037 H:\Work\projekt\7038

Insert as many lines as needed. I have about forty path lines in my search.pro, I don't know if there's any limit for the number of lines in this file.

In config.pro file insert line:

search_path_file search.pro

This line tells ProE where search.pro file is located. Above done, ProE will be able to locate files stored in several folders. This is kind of a poor man's intralink, it works great however.

You can put the search.pro file anywhere, insert folder path though if it's not in the same folder as config.pro file (eg. search_path_file D:\work\search.pro).

- Jarkko -

Reply to
Jarkko Hakkarainen

Search.pro will solve this problem. I was wondering does anyone know how to make the search.pro files scan all subdirectories under the folder? Could it be a config.pro issue I have looked and looked.

Example

x:/holder x:/endmill

instead of

x:/holder/lathe x:/holder/mill x:/endmill/250 x:/endmill/325 x:/endmill/500 x:/endmill/625

Thanks

Reply to
shaun

also

Seach.pro is a convenience to keep from glutting your config.pro with a ton of path names. If you have only a few, they can just as easily be the option data for a series of search_path statements in config.pro, so you could have search_path H:\Work\projekt\7038. It merely requires, as does mapkey, a separate statement for each of the path names.

A word of caution: the paths are searched not only for parts in an assembly but for every new part created or part renamed. Since this search_path functionality arose to substitute for a real data and configuration management system (like Pro/PDM or Intralink or TeamCenter or iMAN), it took on entire directory structures, trying to use system resources to be a CM system. Have you done a file search on XP, starting from the root directory? Remember how long that took? Pro/e, searching a complicated directory structure, is worse; it'll completely hose your system, so be careful.

Sean, the type of search you're hoping for is available.... in Pro/LOCATE, a simple find utility within Intralink. You need a better data management system when you're making that kind of demand on it! (Oh, the pain! Oh, the anguish! when you tell them they've got to cough up a couple grand.) It's peanuts and they should embrace the 20th/21st century and quit making such an unseemly fuss about a little money. Their triffling financial woes will not bring a twitch, an itch to the US economy much less the end of Western Civilization. Tell them to quit being so melodramatic and pony up.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Haven't tried it with search.pro, but UG will search sub-folders by using ... at the end of the line. c:\parts... will search c:\parts and all sub-folders (maybe c:\parts\...).

Reply to
Ben Loosli