Somebody is designing a ply boat with PROE ?

Hello all,

I'am building a smal sail boat made of plywood-epoxi construction. I am trying to model the boat in proe, but I am finding a lot of troubles. For instance I model the sections with curves (2D poligonal curves), and then I create 3D splines using the corresponding points in the sections (the vertexes of the poligonal lines that made the sections). After that I use this 3D splites to create a sheetmetal part using two curves, and then I change the attributes for making this metal part developable (excuse me but I use PROE in spanish and I do not know the exact translations of the commands). This part has a lot of troubles that I think that can be solved if I could touch the parameters of the 3D spline (the tension), but I do not find the way to do it. Somebody has tried anything similar ??

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Diego Peinado Martín

Diego, these curves you created would be perfect for boundary surfaces, using two long curves for the first direction and all of the rib section curves for the second direction. With surfaces in the shape of your planks, you could then use 'flatten quilt' (Insert>Advanced>Flatten quilt) to get your pattern for cutting the plywood. In preparation, you need to make point on the surface that flattening will stay tangent to, usually at the widest point of surface. To make a separate part of each of these flattened quilts, use 'copy geometry' to place only that geometry in a part (Insert>Shared data>Copy geometry from other model). I think you will avoid the problems you made for yourself trying to use sheetmetal to create patterns.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Thanks David, you have explained quite clear how to do it. I tried to use surfaces, but I did not use the copy geom feature to translate the planks to different parts. It's a very good trick. Thanks a lot, bye

Reply to
Diego Peinado Martín

I have used the same method for creating fabric patterns, and it works well. However, be careful because I found a couple of cases where flatten quilt produced a distorted shape. I strongly recommend testing the fit with a paper/cardboard mockup before cutting the actual material.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

NB The following comments from David Geesaman appeared on Google Groups in their archive of this NG's discussion. Please note that anything contributed at Google Groups comp.cad.pro-engineer is contributed at a terminus point, to an archive. Your comments never make it to the ongoing discussion. They merely augment an archive, like adding your comments to the Dead Sea Scrolls, as if they were part of it. If you wish to contribute to the ongoing discussion at comp.cad.pro-engineer, you need a news feed through an isp or an independent, subscription news service, available with an internet connection.

David Janes I have used the same method for creating fabric patterns, and it works well. However, be careful because I found a couple of cases where flatten quilt produced a distorted shape. I strongly recommend testing the fit with a paper/cardboard mockup before cutting the actual material.

Dave

Reply to
David Janes

Is this 'Google' stuff directed to me? I think you once posted something about this before. I don't use Google, I use Newscene. Perhaps there is a propagation issue with your Cox service.

Dave

------------------------- Path: newscene.com!newscene!newscene!novia!novia!sequencer.newscene.com!not-for-ma il From: "David Geesaman" Newsgroups: comp.cad.pro-engineer Subject: Re: Somebody is designing a ply boat with PROE ? Date: 3 Oct 2003 07:27:13 -0500

-------------------------

Reply to
David Geesaman

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

I see. What I think is confusing to some is the distribution of Usenet messages. Generally, Google runs a few hours - full day behind most news servers. I think it's because it takes longer to enter into their database, but the completeness is very good. I found this thread (minus today's postings) complete on Google:

But anyway, the completeness of news services varies widely. Cox, like many internet service providers, may have a very poor news feed, which results in slow receipt of messages and lost messages. Newscene is considered a premium service that offers much longer retention and better completeness than standard ISP news offerings.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman