doubt in proe

HI friends, does anybody know how to find the volume of a individual feature. ie cut, Protrusion, round, chamfer etc.,pls get me som solution. is there any option to find that in proe.

Regards, Ravi

Reply to
Ravikumar

Ravi,

Do a mass properties calculation before and after the feature in question and calculate the difference between the two volumes.

Ron

Reply to
RonT

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Use David Janes' method with suppress/resume of the desired feature.

But either of these can take a lot of time if there are complex dependencies. Another solution is:

Create a temporary part, bring in the original part as a merge feature, and add the round, chamfer, etc. Then use model analysis before and after as described by David Janes.

Reply to
Mike

: But either of these can take a lot of time if there are complex : dependencies. Another solution is: : : Create a temporary part, bring in the original part as a merge feature, and : add the round, chamfer, etc. Then use model analysis before and after as : described by David Janes. : That's nice, that's interesting! How much volume was subtracted, okay, that's better. But I was really hoping someone would come up with something using a couple datum analysis featues, relations referencing them and differencing them with a parameter, then using the parameter in a note, maybe. And then, maybe a UDA where you'd just pick the feature and it'd place the stuff before and after, like a macro. Something like that. Any volunteers to tackle this one!?! I know it looks tough, but it might not be that bad, all we need is Delta V.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Actually, I did the first part of your suggestion this afternoon. Using insert mode I created a datum analysis feature prior to one feature and had it create a feature parameter to store the volume of the part at that stage. Then I shifted the insert position to after the feature, created another datum analysis feature and had it store the volume in another feature parameter. I then created a delta parameter and assigned its value using a relation. Works beautifully.

I'm not sure what the original poster was trying to do, i.e. was he just curious about how one would accomplish the task or does he have a compelling need (perhaps he could enlighten us). I originally thought about the datum analysis features, but chose to go with my initial suggestion of manually subtracting the volumes that resulted from running mass properties in model analysis.

Using a UDA is an interesting thought. If I find some time I might experiment, but no guarantees!

Ron

Reply to
RonT

"RonT" wrote in message news:PUbpc.1551$ snipped-for-privacy@news.cpqcorp.net... : Actually, I did the first part of your suggestion this afternoon. Using : insert mode I created a datum analysis feature prior to one feature and had : it create a feature parameter to store the volume of the part at that stage. : Then I shifted the insert position to after the feature, created another : datum analysis feature and had it store the volume in another feature : parameter. I then created a delta parameter and assigned its value using a : relation. Works beautifully. : Great, I thought it might but it'd been a few years since I'd done it. Wasn't sure if I remembered it correctly. Now, can you drag the analysis features up and down the model tree to measure any feature?

: I'm not sure what the original poster was trying to do, i.e. was he just : curious about how one would accomplish the task or does he have a compelling : need (perhaps he could enlighten us). I originally thought about the datum : analysis features, but chose to go with my initial suggestion of manually : subtracting the volumes that resulted from running mass properties in model : analysis. : Here's another thing, somewhat more limited in application, that you can try. Works for protrusions, anyway. Again, do a model analysis, but, instead of model mass properties, pick One sided volume from the list. If there isn't already a datum plane at the base of the protrusion, pick the datum create icon and make one of the new 'on the fly' datums. Pick that datum for your analysis and flip the arrow toward your protrusion. Click compute and you get the volume of your protrusion. Another limitation to the application of this method is that it includes everything and anything solid on that side of the datum.

: Using a UDA is an interesting thought. If I find some time I might : experiment, but no guarantees! : I hope you do, maybe you can figure out how to include the relations in it.

David Janes : Ron : : : "David Janes" wrote in message : news:fNapc.52517$Fl5.24008@okepread04... : > "Mike" wrote in message : news:eU6pc.92$xi.28@fed1read07... : > : Use David Janes' method with suppress/resume of the desired feature. : > : : > Good idea for a specific feature already in existence! Or, just slide the : 'Insert' : > bar up before and after the featue and do the Model Mass Properties : analysis. You : > might avoid problems with Suppress/Resume this way. : >

[...]

: >

: :

Reply to
David Janes

Yes, you can move the datum analysis features around and the volumes are recalculated.

However, I made one change to the above scenario because after moving the datum analysis features around, you had to manually regenerate the model to get the delta volume parameter to update via the relation. I added another datum analysis feature at the end of the model tree and set the type to be a "relation" analysis feature. I assigned the same relation I had used previously. Because this is created as a feature in the model tree, it gets regenerated automatically whenever the model is changed.

This works as well. Use the same analysis features and define them as one-sided volumes instead.

I did some investigating (had to review how to create a UDA) and I don't think this can be done. A UDA requires a local group and a local group requires sequential features. This would mean that the feature you want to analyze would have to be part of the local group and it would get dragged around with the local group.

Ron

Reply to
RonT