Making modifications to a section view (treating it like a new drawing)

So I've been struggling with SW 2006, in an effort take take a bunch of cross section views of my part, and print them out on a laser cutter.

Basically what I'm trying to do, is take my part, and split it into sections every 2mm, so that I can cut it out of foam, and then stack them up to create the 3D shape...

So I start with my 3D part, then I selected "Make Drawing from Assembly," at which point I can take the appropriate section views. The problem is that I then need to take these section views, and modify them so that they fit on the laser cutter stage, which involves moving around/modifying the cross section view. For example moving disjoint parts closer together. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to do this...

So basically what I'm asking, is: Is there a way to disassociate a section view from the original part, so that I modify resulting "drawing"???

Thanks,

-=Abe

Reply to
abachrach

Just a thought, my 2 cents, etc.

  1. Create your section views as needed on one sheet. (Use sketch pattern for your 2mm offset construction/section lines)
  2. Create additional sheets, one for each section
  3. Drag each section to its own sheet (Optional: hide all but the active section)
  4. Export each sheet to dwg or dxf
  5. In dwg editor select the portions you want to move and move them.

My guess is that your laser eats dxf or dwg so the last two steps are going to happen anyway.

It may be possible to automate part of this.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

What do you think this is? Autocad for art pansies? If you want to do that, export your drawing to Autocad and do it there.

Daisy (to go with your pansy).

Reply to
PotFlower

Good Call on the export to dxf option!!! That does the tick!

Thanks a lot!

-=Abe

Reply to
abachrach

Since you are actually making a series of parts, I'd add an Extrude/cut feature to the part, the position of which is different in each newly-created part config, and which matches your intended cross-section positions.

Then make your views of the different configs, rather than creating section views.

John H

Reply to
John H