A2D Chip?

Does anyone know of a simple cheap a2d ic that can provide a microcontroller with about 8 additional channels?

Chris S.

Reply to
Chris S

Maxim makes several. I like the MAX1270. A2D chips are usually not cheap however.

-Dave

microcontroller

Reply to
Dave

You might check the Texas Instruments TLC542C chip that goes for ~$3.50.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Its cheaper to use a single channel a/d chip connected to a CD4051 8 channel analog multiplexor. Even cheaper, dont use an a/d chip, try a PIC12675 (10 bit a/d built in) for under $2.

Reply to
Luhan Monat

I really like Microchip's MCP3208.

You can get a couple of free sammples from Microchip's web site.

They communicate to the host processor via SPI. I have sample code on my site which uses this chip.

-- D. Jay Newman

D. Jay Newman

Woah.

Ok, riddle me this. I have already purchased stepper driver chips, and am now looking for an adc for an infrared rangefinder, and a way to "set and forget" the pulse, direction, etc. for the steppers. So far all reasonably powerful solutions are in the $5-15 range.

This mcu could do the job of off-loading all timing and monitoring, and do the a2d as well.

My question is, why haven't I been using these for every component of my little scullery maid? Is it the programming overhead? Being new to the hobby, and a reasonable proficient programmer, I'm curious.

Why is there a market for all these (seemingly) overpriced solutions?

Yours,

CA

Reply to
C. A.

A $2 chip is over-priced?

Reply to
dan michaels
[snip]
[snip]
[snip]

I guess that's my point. You suggest a cheap general purpose MCU that is quite capable of solving the problem for which more expensive specific chips are currently being offered.

I'm not sure the extra programming overhead is an issue... you code once and go.

Yours,

CA

Reply to
C. A.

Microchip's MCP3208.

This provides 8 channels of 12-bit ADC. It communicates via SPI.

I've used this chip from both a PIC and the Systronix JStik.

-- D. Jay Newman

D. Jay Newman

I'm following up a bit late on this... I went to microchips site to find they are sampling PIC16F777's... I picked up three, and can't wait to use them!

Features 14 channels of 10-bit adc, and low-power stuff.

Yours,

CA

Reply to
C. A.