ADXRS300EB / ADXRS150EB Gyros

Hi,

Does anyone have one of these? Anyone have one for sale? It seems impossible to pick this up in the US. I am currently pursuing the ability to hook this up to a lego mindstorms using the three-wire converter found at:

Apparently, MIT is using a gyro board based off the ADXRS300. Does anyone know the specs for it? Is it the same as the ADXRS300EB? Any help is much appreciated...

Cheers,

Ram

Reply to
Ram Meenakshisundaram

The first result from Google of searching for "ADXRS300" leads to the data sheet. I suspect you will not be enthusiastic about working with a ball grid array package. The EB suffix (evaluation board) is the ball grid array part mounted on a usable DIP adapter with some associated passive parts. There are also other gyro options like Tokin. Why are you particularly interested in the ADXRS300?

Why do you say it is "impossible" to get these? You can easily order them from Analog Devices.

Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

The ADXRS300 is the ball grid array and is difficult to work with unless you have a carrier which is expensive. THe ADXRS300EB comes in a nice evaluation board and is much easier to work with. The ADXRS300 has the physical requirements for working with the lego mindstorms. Its a lot easier to interface. I can just hook up the AVCC, RATEOUT, and AGND and I am done if I use the three-wire converter mentioned in my previous post.

Its out-of-stock and its expensive from Analog Devices. $50 plus a heafty shipping charge! Arrow & Advent are also out-of-stock. Are there any distributors that actually carries the part??

Thanks,

Ram

Reply to
Ram Meenakshisundaram

has ADXRS150's they are out of the 300's though. They are real popular which probably explains the shortage. The chips are showing up in all sorts of things now. You are not going to get them cheaper than $50 though. Unless you get one off of EBAY. They do put them up for auction from time to time.

Reply to
Earl Bollinger

Easily?

I had a 300EB on order from them since early December; they kept moving the ship-date without calling me.

Finally I sent email to their customer service number and found that they had put my order on hold (without telling me!) because they somehow lost the name (my name) associated with my credit card.

All of this without any email or phone call to me.

-- D. Jay Newman

D. Jay Newman

Yeah. I also noticed that even though the web site said these were available when I added them to my cart, when I looked later they were no longer available.

Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

Yipeee, they are now in stock at ADI. $50 + $11.99 for ground shipping for the ADXRS300EB. This is a lot cheaper than getting the raw BGA which is going for around the same price! Plus much easier to work with. They have about 70 in stock. Most people dont even carry this as they are all out-of-stock...

Cheers,

Ram

Reply to
Ram Meenakshisundaram

Yes, I just got mine today! I have to experiment with it.

-- D. Jay Newman

D. Jay Newman

Let us know how it goes. I am a n00b when it comes to this. Have to be careful :-(

Cheers,

Ram

Reply to
Ram Meenakshisundaram

Wow, talk about a speedy service. I ordered it yesterday afternoon and got it a few minutes ago. About 24-hours! Got something to play with this weekend!!! Let everyone know how it goes...

Cheers,

Ram

Reply to
Ram Meenakshisundaram

Just noticed something, the specs capacitor locations are different than the one on the board? Anyone else have the same problem? Which one is pin 1?

Thanks,

Ram

Reply to
Ram Meenakshisundaram

Hi,

I finally got my prototype working. Note that the datasheet that Analog Devices sends with the ADXRS150EB/ADXRS300EB has incorrectpinouts!

pin 1 is the pin that has a square solder joint and the pin numberings goes counter clockwise from there. Here is a picture of my sensor connected to a Lego Mindstorms sensor interface:

The connections are as follows:

1) Connect +5V to pin 1 (AVCC) 2) Connect signal to pin 2 (RATEOUT) 3) Connect ground to pin 8 (AGND) 4) Connect +5 to pin 13 (PDD) 5) Connect ground to pin 12 (PGND)

The Techno-Stuff 3-wire Lego Mindstorms interface provides a standard ground, +5V, and an input connection. It is rated at 6mA and is enough to drive the Gyro. Now I am off to build my two-wheeled balancing robot!

Cheers,

Ram

Reply to
Ram Meenakshisundaram