All terrain mobile platform

Thanks to all contributers. Within this sub-thread we will further investigate how to implement "Emergency Stop" subsystem:

[Emergency Stop] : The Base Computer will transmit regular watch-dog signals to keep mobile platform operational. An emergency shutdown switch will shutdown the platform unless it receives a watch-dog signal from the Base Station. We do not know how to "turn ON/OFF" the high current, main power line. Any suggestion?

We are looking forward to receive your further contributions.

Reply to
<Roberto>

Thanks to all contributers. Within this sub-thread we will further investigate alternative steering techniques:

[Steering] : The Base Station PC will read the joytick position and interpret it to two velocity data (differential steering), one for left and one for the right set of wheels. For the mechanical simplicity we are considering differential steering rather than Ackerman steering.

We are looking forward to receive your further contributions.

Differential Steering :
Ackerman Steering :

<Roberto>

Thanks to all contributers. Within this sub-thread we will further investigate alternative computer HW, OSs and memory/disk etc alternatives:

[Base Station & Platform Computer] : Initially we would like to control our mobile platform via joystick interfaced to a notebook PC as "Base Station" with a wireless ethernet which communicate with a computer (which will be decided later on) on the platform (Platfrom Computer).

We are looking forward to receive your further contributions.

Operating System: . . . ???

Reply to
<Roberto>

Thanks to all contributers. Within this sub-thread we will further investigate how to implement communication subsystem between Base Station and Platform Computer.

[Communication between Base Station and Platform Computer]: During the initial testing and debugging process the Base Station and Platform Computer will communicate with each other via wireless ethernet. We are expecting the wireless networks to wors fine within 50-100m radius (line of sight) without any special antenna and/or power amplifier. Later on the we are planing to have longer range (slower) two-way radio modems.

We are looking forward to receive your further contributions.