bait cast reels in robotics ?

I was wandering through a sportings goods store today in the fishing section, and it occured to me that maybe some of the really
slick looking bait cast reels might be of use in small robotics - because they are already built for certain amount of stress; pulleys, ball bearings & gears are built-in & professionally engineered for rugged use. I can see maybe attaching a motor to the handle shaft and using these to raise or lower loads. Plus the shiney newer ones just *look* like part of a robot !!!
Anyone done this ? Pros ? Cons ? Comments ?
I was actually looking for a roll of braided leader wire, but unfortunately haven't found that *anywhere* retail these days.
Slap some words on me! :-) JCD
pogo wrote:

You might have some luck with the wire at a hobby shop. The larger control line planes used braided steel wire I think.
Short stretches of it might be found in picture hanging kits.
BobH

Good ideas ! Thanks!
pogo wrote:

No, picture wire is not made of an alloy that will survive repeated coiling. However, fishing line is available in a wide range of strength ratings, up to 250 pound test. Braided wire has the advantage of not stretching much under load, so if you're actuating something and position matters, you may have to go to braided stainless wire, or Kevlar. If you're just winding in something, fishing line is cheap.                          John Nagle