Circuit Breaker Replacement?

A replacement fuse for my multimeter costs $15 on average. Would it be possible to substitute it for a circuit breaker? Does anyone manufacture
circuit breakers for this purpose?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hi Cris,
The time it takes a circuit breaker to trip will TOAST a multimeter. They use fuses because they’re fast. Circuit breakers are SLOW.
--
Jay
βœ–
happyhobit wrote:

It depends on what kind of breaker you use. In the case of your standard EM based breaker, true, those operate slowly as the EM field causes mechanical components to break the circuit. However, there are also solid state based breakers which can react much faster, granted, their intended for much lighter applications.
Regardless, my end goal is to lower my fuse budget. So far, the most practical solution appears to be just handling my meter more carefully ;)
Add pictures here
βœ–
: Regardless, my end goal is to lower my fuse budget. So far, the most : practical solution appears to be just handling my meter more carefully ;)
Or find a cheaper supplier for the fuse ? What kind of fuse is it ?
Chris Candreva -- snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
βœ–
Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

It's a cylindrical Buss DMM-44/100 (3.5 x 1.0 cm) used in Flukes. Digikey doesn't seem to carry it, and the few retailers I've found usually seem to charge between $10 and $15.
Add pictures here
βœ–
: It's a cylindrical Buss DMM-44/100 (3.5 x 1.0 cm) used in Flukes. : Digikey doesn't seem to carry it, and the few retailers I've found : usually seem to charge between $10 and $15.
Oh, DigiKey carries it, but they was $16.20 quantity 1, $13.33 for 10.
Mouser has it too, slightly better. Search on Part number is actualy DMM-B-44/100, unless this is different.
The big deal about this fuse seems to be that it can carry 100% of the rated current indefinately. If this was a real problem I might see about hacking in a regular 10 cent fuse, even if it mean replaceing it more often. Or, see why you are blowing it so often in the first place. My Heathkit version of a Fluke has burned 2 fuses in 10 years, and it's a standard 5x20mm .