Communicating with the pino

Hello,
I received my first PINO today and found that it can communicate with other PINO. How does it do this? I suppose its using IR. Can anyone tell me
what communication protocol is being used and if anyone has attempted a hack for it yet? I would like to write a program eventually to establish a coms. link for controlling the PINO via my laptop. I am an electronic engineer by profession and would find this a nice project.
Thanks
Naveed