Control for an ROV

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone had some advice for a guy trying to set up an LCD display of depth (using a pressure sensor) and direction
(using a compass) using an OOpic. I have some electronics experience, but nothing much with microcontrollers. My goal is to display the depth and orientation of my ROV, if you have any ideas about the best OOpic, sensor display to do this please let me know.
Thanks.