Cutting #2 Screws

What's the easiest way to cut #2 (2-56) screws?

I've not seen a bolt cutter small enough for them. Is there a tool or method that can be used to cut them cleanly to a desired length without damaging the threads?

Thanks, Ed LeBouthillier

Reply to
Ed LeBouthillier

Here is how I cut screws:

I thread on a tool I made out of a piece of mildly springy steel that is folded on itself, like tongs, with a hole drilled and tapped.

this allows me to thread the screw in, and hold it securely.

Then I cut it with a snap saw, and grind flat on a bench grinder.

Then I unthred the screw, and stone the start down until it is close to a full pitch in width.

Reply to
Blueeyedpop

: > I've not seen a bolt cutter small enough for them. : > Is there a tool or method that can be used to cut : > them cleanly to a desired length without damaging : > the threads? : >

: > Thanks, : > Ed LeBouthillier : >

  1. Thread a steel nut on the screw,
  2. cut the screw to length with a Moto-Tool cut off wheel,
  3. then bevel the end he depth of the threads.
  4. Remove the Steel nut to clean out the threads. It almost always works. Chasing the threads is also sometimes helpful if they get fouled. A Die is kept handy for thread chasing.
Reply to
Roger Gt

Although I usually have a Dremel at hand, I almost always just cut bolts with a diagonal cutter or bolt cutter. Then I file it by hand. Either way works but for larger bolts especially, it's quicker to break 'em and it doesn't consume cutting disks.

I was doing a bunch of bolts recently and I was getting so good at it that I forgot to put a nut on before cutting the last one. Ouch! I didn't have any extras so I had to hunt for one of my die sets...

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

--Anneal one side of a set of wire strippers; the flat yellow-handled cheapies from electronics supply places. Drill and tap that for the sizes you're using, then put the thing back together. Thread in bolt, nip, back out and you're done. --Minor commercial follows for a widget I made to dress the ends of cut bolts of most common sizes:

steamer