DC Motor Controller Design Suggestions... please

I've updated the website with a bit more information on the Software and Hardware Functionality of the motor controller. If you get a
chance, take a look at the circuits and diagrams and let me know if we're on the right track. Thanks.
http://students.oc.edu/james.klein /
We've currently received all of our main components for prototyping. My team has broken up into two smaller teams in the classic battle of hardware vs. software. We will begin a breadboarded circuit by the end of the month and begin to test out partial software algorithms. We haven't had too many questions or problems in the last few weeks, but I'm sure that will all change pretty soon.
- Jim
Me and my partner are currently trying to find an algorithm for the Self-tuning PID algorithm. Are there currently any websites that will help show the way?
Jake
Jake,
Try looking up Ziegler Nichols tuning methods on Google. One example: http://www.jashaw.com/pid/tutorial/pid6.html
David Waldo

Updated the website again:
http://students.oc.edu/james.klein /
You will now find a completed schematic of the entire motor controller system, along with a sample board layout design. The board layout is included just to give you an idea of what the final product will look like.
On the software side of things, my team members now have a detailed block diagram showing the flow of information into, within, and out of the system. This block diagram will be added to the website soon.
Let me know if you have any questions about the specifications of our motor controller, or better yet, some suggestions as to the specs you would like to see.
- Jim
Any safety suggestions for the MC33186 Motorola h-bridge? We will be operating up to 40V and about 6A. Have you guys ever used any isolation or other techniques to guard against back EMF?
Also, the website (http://students.oc.edu/james.klein /) has been updated again to include a detailed block diagram of the software involved with our system. Check it out if you get a chance and let us know what you think. Your emails and future posts are greatly appreciated.
- Jim