Detector resolution?

    --Trying to find out if there's an affordable detector that would, for example, spot a gopher sticking its head out of a hole in a typical
lawn-sized space. Any suggestions appreciated...
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Quando Omni
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Flunkus Moritati

I'd use a dog!
Al
--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......

[spirit of home robotics mode]
A complete dog?? Or just the suitable parts ;-)
[/spirit of home robotics mode] -- Bye, Ray
http://home.hccnet.nl/raymond.van.elst / Mobile robot, walker and I-Cybie

I have to say, I find this disturbing. I suspect the next post will involve a solenoid strong enough to pull a shotgun trigger, or a pan/tilt head that can move the gun... ;^)
seriously though, is this actually a gopher you are trying to detect, so you can capture it doing cute antics for americas funniest home videos?(nudge nudge)
The CMUcam comes to mind. Through the course of the day, you would have to play with the brightness levels, I would imagine.
Mike

Put it to scan 2" above ground level and it mows the lawn while decapitating the gophers, thus freeing the end user to engage in more interesting pursuits such as robotics.
An elegant solution.
best regards
Robin G Hewitt
Darn,
You revealed my future patent, so much for prior art.....
Mike

decapitating

decapitating
A solid-state solution: Put mirrors around the edge aim the laser to reflect the beam all over.
Tim -- These are my views, not those of my employer.

Okay, I was being optimistic when I suggested the CMU cam. But in essence, anythig non green against a green background might be found , since it is a roughly monochrome background. Might even try blurring the image a bit with a filter, to remove all the high frequency information. Simplistic, but effective.
Mike
: I have to say, I find this disturbing. I suspect the next post will : involve a solenoid strong enough to pull a shotgun trigger, or a : pan/tilt head that can move the gun... ;^)     --Well I was thinking more along the lines of a strobe light or laser to disorient the foe, coupled to some sort of trigger that would activate our mobile cat unit, which has been quite efficient, but on his own schedule. I was thinking mobile-cat-unit could use a little help: he's managed, in the year since he moved in, to nail 1 rat, 5 birds (oh, well..) and no less than *20* gophers, but out here that's just scratching the surface, so to speak. By far and away the most destructive critter we've found so far is Mr. Mole, whose tunnels are very shallow and destructive to planned foliage.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Quando Omni
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Flunkus Moritati

What, no Caddyshack reference? "It looks like a mirac--it's in the hole!"