Detector resolution?

--Trying to find out if there's an affordable detector that would, for example, spot a gopher sticking its head out of a hole in a typical lawn-sized space. Any suggestions appreciated...

Reply to
steamer

I'd use a dog!

Al

Reply to
Al

[spirit of home robotics mode]

A complete dog?? Or just the suitable parts ;-)

[/spirit of home robotics mode]

-- Bye, Ray

robot, walker and I-Cybie

Reply to
Ray

I have to say, I find this disturbing. I suspect the next post will involve a solenoid strong enough to pull a shotgun trigger, or a pan/tilt head that can move the gun... ;^)

seriously though, is this actually a gopher you are trying to detect, so you can capture it doing cute antics for americas funniest home videos?(nudge nudge)

The CMUcam comes to mind. Through the course of the day, you would have to play with the brightness levels, I would imagine.

Mike

Reply to
blueeyedpop

steamer wrote in news:pe53b.15736$dk4.527705 @typhoon.sonic.net:

What, no Caddyshack reference? "It looks like a mirac--it's in the hole!"

Reply to
Joel Moore

Put it to scan 2" above ground level and it mows the lawn while decapitating the gophers, thus freeing the end user to engage in more interesting pursuits such as robotics.

An elegant solution.

best regards

Robin G Hewitt

Reply to
Robin G Hewitt

Darn,

You revealed my future patent, so much for prior art.....

decapitating

Reply to
Blueeyedpop

decapitating

A solid-state solution: Put mirrors around the edge aim the laser to reflect the beam all over.

Tim

-- These are my views, not those of my employer.

Reply to
Tim Jacobs

Okay, I was being optimistic when I suggested the CMU cam. But in essence, anythig non green against a green background might be found , since it is a roughly monochrome background. Might even try blurring the image a bit with a filter, to remove all the high frequency information. Simplistic, but effective.

Mike

Reply to
Blueeyedpop

blueeyedpop wrote: : I have to say, I find this disturbing. I suspect the next post will : involve a solenoid strong enough to pull a shotgun trigger, or a : pan/tilt head that can move the gun... ;^) --Well I was thinking more along the lines of a strobe light or laser to disorient the foe, coupled to some sort of trigger that would activate our mobile cat unit, which has been quite efficient, but on his own schedule. I was thinking mobile-cat-unit could use a little help: he's managed, in the year since he moved in, to nail 1 rat, 5 birds (oh, well..) and no less than *20* gophers, but out here that's just scratching the surface, so to speak. By far and away the most destructive critter we've found so far is Mr. Mole, whose tunnels are very shallow and destructive to planned foliage.

Reply to
steamer