Favorite hangouts

Okay, so I recall TMT asked this question a while back, but I wanted to pose it again:
Obviously, CRM is no longer the hotbed of activity it once was ten years
ago. Well, things change, and more and more ISPs are blocking newsgroups anyway.
So where do people hang out? Are there any non-vendor specific forums or groups (that is, not forums/groups connected with a retailer or manufacturer) that stand out?
How about blogs? Who's got the hot blogs these days?
-- Gordon

Thanks for raising the question Gordon....I too have been wondering the same thing.
Thanks to any leads anyone will post.
TMT
    --Well FWIW I started a Stamp tribe on tribe.net There's virtually no traffic there so I wouldn't mind if this gang would hijack it and make it a new home. Direct link: http://tribes.tribe.net/basicstamp
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : To help the helpless
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : To comfort the fearful...
Gordon McComb wrote:

I've noted a few forums go quite recently but these are the ones I still check regularly
    http://www.robotbuilder.co.uk/forum /     http://www.minisumo.org.uk/forum/     http://www.micromouseonline.com/forum /      regards, colin
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 13:53:01 -0800, Gordon McComb

Perhaps robot club blogs and mailing lists are The Thing nowadays. There's pretty low traffic on the AHRC mailing list with the occasional tech question and meeting announcements, but perhaps lists of other clubs are more active.
There's also the emergence of "hacker spaces" in recent years. These physical places are ideal for working on long-term large collaborative projects, whereas robot clubs generally have one room for a couple hours a month. Just the websites/blogs can be interesting enough. Here's my "local" one I visited last month, but as far away as I live, it's hard to justify going there often and becoming a member:
http://freesideatlanta.org
It's of course not strictly robotics, but there's a lot of overlap in interest, and I did see a "robot making class" mentioned on the mailing list, being started up as a day-long once-per-month event.
Here's a couple of sites for the latest robot-and-related news as well as general inspiration: http://singularityhub.com / http://www.robots.net/ The last site, getting back to the original question, also appears to have many amateur/hobby robot builders on it (looks like you get a free blog by signing up), as shown in the left column and in the "robot of the day" pic. I haven't explored that part much, I usually just read the news in the middle column, but I just signed up. A neat advertiser for the site is http://hobbypartz.com (with a Z), they have great prices on servos.