GPS modules ?

Could someone recommend a gps module suitable for use in embedded projects (pic and lpc21xx) , robotics and hooking up to a
(laptop/pc with windows and osx drivers).
Either 3V or 5V powered, ASCI output via rs232 or i2c or spi - (NMEA 0183) and under 10cm by 10cm (5cm by 5cm or under would be better).
Start up time isn't a concern , up to a couple of minutes is fine
Quite a few out there, just wondering which ones people use more and are fairly cheap , easy to use , reliable and rugged/robust.
I had a bit of a look at a few (first three look quite good) UV40 - Laipac TF30 - Laipac Lassen iQ - Trimble
Rikaline GPS-23 Jupiter 12 Leadtek 9543
http://www.stepgps.com/products/trimble/lassenIQ.htm#physical http://www.embedtronics.com/GPS/lassenSQ.html
UV40 , TF30 and Lassen listed here http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart 9810&catc&
Rikaline http://www.modtronix.com/product_info.php?currency=AUD&cPatha_63&products_id 9
Jupiter and leadtek GPS-9543 - bit pricy http://www.tdc.co.uk/starter_packs/index.htm#gps9543
Thanks Alex Gibson
Alex Gibson wrote:

http://www.modtronix.com/product_info.php?currency=AUD&cPatha_63&products_id 9
http://www.commlinx.com.au / and http://www.ja-gps.com.au/engines.html

Hey Alex, have you looked at Navman? I think they're over on your side of the globe, NZ. See the Juptier Pico and Calisto.
http://www.navman.com/oem/products/index.html
I've used the Jupiter 11. Nice thing is they have a dead reckoning input, for wheel sensors, so they can do a better job of predicting motion. Reasonably priced, I thought.
--
Randy M. Dumse
www.newmicros.com

http://www.modtronix.com/product_info.php?currency=AUD&cPatha_63&products_id 9

Have you had a look at Freescale's (Motorola) FS Oncore? http://www.synergy-gps.com/minimodule.html
Or even the old standy, Garmin? http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18oem /
You can buy combined GPS modules and antennae for about $80 off the net (try eBay). These small devices can be obtained with either a standard RS232 or USB output. They put out the information in standard NMEA format (which basically means that it can be read directly by a microprocessor). I am using them with a Picaxe08 micro to monitor the movement of cattle via a small solar-powered collar around their neck. And for RC airplanes with a tiny 300 MHz (approx) transmitter from Oatley.
Alex Gibson wrote:

http://www.modtronix.com/product_info.php?currency=AUD&cPatha_63&products_id 9
WDino wrote:

Digital cattle? Sounds like something from a bad SCI-FI movie. ;)
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

cattle via a

with a tiny

Tracking cattle by GPS seems to be a popular thing to do. There is a picture here. http://ticsys.tamu.edu/entolcra.htm
Peter
peterk wrote:

I'd rather see them on usenet kooks, trolls and spammers so we could make sure they don't get near a working computer.
I'm sure they are quite useful to ranchers when livestock goes missing.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael A. Terrell
2005:

Mavericks arise! You have nothing to lose but your tracking devices! (;-)
John Woodgate wrote:

Where, oh where, has my little dogie gone.
Bad doggerel, bad.
John Woodgate wrote:

Check out: http://www.cowswithguns.com/ :)
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
says...

Where are you going to put a troll or spammer that they wouldn't come within the tracking error(say 20 meters in an urban canyon) of a working computer?

So how do the cows transmit back their position? Or do they log the positions to see where the cows go when they aren't watching?
Mark Borgerson
Mark Borgerson wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines keeping them at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

You've got me. I haven't been near a live cow in almost 39 years. I prefer my cows already processed. In fact, there's some beef cooking in my crock pot full of chili right now.
I didn't start the part about the digital cows, I just commented on it.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Mark Borgerson wrote:

This has to be an opening for a 'Far Side' cartoon. ;-)
"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

We can only hope he comes out of retirement to draw more of his silly cartoons. I kept a Far side calendar on my bench at work for several years. It was disappointing when they stopped printing them.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
what has this posting got to do with the subject? dude.
: "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote: : > : > This has to be an opening for a 'Far Side' cartoon. ;-) : : : We can only hope he comes out of retirement to draw more of his silly : cartoons. I kept a Far side calendar on my bench at work for several : years. It was disappointing when they stopped printing them. : : -- : ? : : Michael A. Terrell : Central Florida

Check your sources ! I've got a 2005 model on my wall now.
-Hershel Roberson
Hershel Roberson wrote:

I hadn't even looked for one after they announced they would no longer be available in the US. I've only visited the big bookstores a couple times in the last couple years. No electronics books or magazines worth buying so when they said the 365 day "Cartoon a day" calendar was no more I stopped going.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
In aus.electronics,comp.arch.embedded,comp.robotics.misc,sci.electronics.design. on Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:24:30 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"

Try the big bookstores' websites, they stock much more than the retail stores. When you find what you want, you can check competitive with comarison sites such as <http://addall.com . Hmm, searching for Far Side Calendar returns current titles at links 5 and 6.
----- http://mindspring.com/~benbradley