GPS

So I've been... inactive for awhile. Are there any commercial HPR GPS units around... or are there any small, not fabulously expensive units
of any kind with 10-20Hz sampling rate?
-Larry (No, huh?) C.

Yes http://www.gpsflight.com
... or are there any small, not fabulously expensive units
I wouldn't say they're inexpensive though.

--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2
J.A. Michel wrote:

There is also the new ARTS GPS system at http://www.lokiresearch.com/arts.asp
However, I don't think these are what he's asking about as neither will do the 10-20Hz sample rate. I have seen a unit that will do 10Hz, but I can't find the data sheet right now. I'll keep looking. It wasn't insanely expensive, IIRC, but was certainly more than the 1Hz units.
-Jeff Taylor
GPSFlight units do 10hz, but the GPS data is only 1hz or 4hz, depending on the engine you use. The Baro data is 10hz.

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 06:13:40 -0500, "J.A. Michel"

There's also the GPS system sold by ATHA Aerospace.
http://www.stephensonline.ca/atha-aerospace/aai_index.html
And let's not forget this one for all you ham radio enthusiasts out there:
http://www.bigredbee.com/beelinegps.htm
-- Greg, K7RKT

Greg Clark wrote:

Oh, to have money right now...
We used a BeeLine transmitter to track one of the wayward Delta pieces and it worked like a charm!
-Kevin
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 16:34:51 -0700, "Greg Clark"
But the GPSFlight and ATHA transmitters are unrestricted - you don't need a license to use one.
yes, but compare the prices.
a ham license only costs $12 or so, and you'll save $100's with a BeeLine vs. the others.
-- Greg
wrote:

there:
Also there is an angle here nobody in rocketry has grasped..... HAM's like to fly balloons. HAM's like to play with electronics. HAM's like to recover the payload from the balloon that went over 100,000' up. So they have all kinds of neat things like landing location prediction software. And free GPS transmitter designs good to over 100k.
But we here in rocketry land try and reinvent the wheel.
My next high altitude flight is using a PICO Beacon: http://www.kd7lmo.net/picobeacon.html
APRS was practically designed for rocketry.
RDH8

Len Lekx wrote:

True, but the cost of entry on a HAM license is dirt cheap -- $25 for the study guide (although you can do it online if you want) and $14 for the test.
That's $39 more; I'm still way ahead cost-wise against anything else on the market.
-Kevin
Kevin Trojanowski wrote:

Is that a actual ham license or radio tech license? Reason I ask is that I'm toying with the radio tech class license myself, eventually.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
the notorious t-e-d wrote:

There are three levels of ham license -- Technician, General and Extra (if I remember the current names correctly).
It costs $14 for a testing session; you can take one or more exams at a session. Technician is the "lowest level" and requires part 2 (no CW).
General and Extra both require part 1, which is CW.
For the BeeLine stuff, you just need a Technician license. The hardest part of it is staying awake through the book.
-Kevin

And unfortunately careful reading of the FCC rulebook gives no indication that rocket use is ok in many of these bands that are reserved for animal tracking and the like, they are quite specific and to possible uses, and hence I believe popular products like rockethunter etc are in fact not legal.
Stan wrote:

Really? OK, here's a scenario:
I plan to track an animal. I want to photograph its habitat from the air. I'm going to use a rocket to do this. I need to make sure I don't lose my rocket. In order to make sure that I don't lose it in the field, I have to 'practice' with it in other areas.
Or same as above, but I'm planning on selling my rocket to animal trackers...
David Erbas-White
Read the FCC rules. This is not a valid scenario. Why PO the FCC when we're already fighting the ATF? Let's (as a hobby) next allow breaking DOT rules. I'm sure that will back the case that the hobby is regulating!

After careful thought and consideration, I invested in BRB transmitters and a Ham (Technician) license. It took a few hours to study for the exam,. However the exam itself was quite easy and inexpensive> I had already ordered an inexpensive single band Transceiver prior to taking the test. Once I began studying, I realized I wanted the ability to do more with my handheld and immediately ordered something better.
Furthermore, the BRB system is much more flexible (programmable) and cost effective than the competitors.
Mark A Palmer

What is the BRB system?
wrote:

there:
Sorry...BRB= Big Red Bee- from Beeline....great product!
Mark Palmer

Larry Curcio wrote:

Why do you want a 10-20Hz sampling rate? If you're wanting to log vertical velocity type information (either from a vertical velocity output or a delta-z determination), I don't think any comsumer GPS systems have algorithms that can reliably determine vertical velocity AND rapidly changing altitude at even 1Hz. Now, once a rocket is slowing and coasting up to apogee, the GPS can probably determine altitude more reliably. Anything during the thrusting period is probably not reliable with consumer units.
Secondly, all the consumer GPS units I've seen specs for use 1Hz. If you wanted a 10Hz sample rate, you'd need to either increase your baud rate and/or limit the number of NEMA sentences you're sending. And there's really not a big consumer market for GPS units that need location/altitude data at a rapidly changing rate.
Dave