Motorola FS Oncore GPS

Motorola's just released miniature GPS chip looks like it was custom designed for rocket location.

Deaver

Reply to
Deaver

Alex, I'll pick "Famous Phrases" for $1000 please...

What is: "No matter where you go"?

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

And you can get a low cost evaluation kit for only $750!

Bob Kaplow

From the size of this board my guess is that its target market is GPS encoding for cell phones and the like. Given the disposable nature of modern electronics, perhaps a good supply for GPS units is old salvaged cell phones.

Say, has any one ever managed to switch cell phone carriers and KEEP their old phone? Or keep there old phone NUMBER?

Bob Kaplow

Here is a suggestion for an enterprizing individual. Integrate the onboard GPS with a wheel type servo, the type used to adjust sails on R/C sailboats. Add a scaled down version of a steerable sport parachute. When your rocket deployees its chute, it steers the rocket, by GPS, to the rangehead or your designated recovery spot. With a 4:1 glideslope available from these chutes, you could even recover upwind of the launch site.

On second thought, forget it. It would just lead to fingerprinting to buy R/C sailboats or nylon cloth.

Reply to
Elfes

Why then even bother with chutes at all? Just deploy wings at apogee, a la the Scissor-Wing Transport, and glide back home.

"Elfes" wrote:

Reply to
BB

"...there you are."

Used by B.B. (Bukaroo Banzai) in Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension.

Also (as an inside joke) inscribed on the dedication plaque on board the Excelsior in ST-IV (The Undiscovered Country). And on the Enterprise-D.

Additionally, the Oscillation Overthruster made guest appearances throughout the Star Trek shows and movies, appearing as various pieces of hardware.

Reply to
BB

No.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Oh, but BB, we both got nailed! Alex kicked me off the set, and who knows what'll happen to you since we both forgot the "key" word..

Remember?

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

on the other hand, I can imagine a future USA, say 2012, when Hilary = Clinton wins her 2nd stint as Prez, she passes an executive order that = all USA citizens are required to have a micro gps implanted into their = bodies.....as an anti-terrorist national id of course..... the stock of motorola goes through the roof,,,

shockie B)

shockwaveriderz

Reply to
Mario Perdue

I was always partial to "we're going nowhere mighty fast".

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

But scisors are dangerous, and terrorists would use your rockets to cut power lines. ;)

Alan, just thinking like a congress critter.

Reply to
Alan Jones

I have a LG5350 3G phone with a broken screen that had the location feature. maybe I need to get inside it and see if theres a GPS chip in their.

Never the old phone number, but I've used old phones on other carriers. I take my old phones, give them to my daughter with it reprogramed for Pre-pay cards.

Reply to
AlMax714

This has been done. The big flight was to be at LDRS but there was an issue. Maybe again at the next big launch.

RDH8

Reply to
Robert DeHate

How about a few details!

Got a link?

Reply to
Mark

From someone who knows WAAAAAY more than I about electronics commented the following........

.....very slick and interesting, but unfortunately it doesn't remember its own software! Instead of having a ROM or FLASH memory, it has volatile RAM that you have to load from the serial port on powerup. You have to send it more than 256K of code. To put this in perspective, ....(many)......altimeters have a total FLASH memory size of 1K and

2K......... so there isn't enough space (by far) to store the GPS code for upload. Its unfortunate that they did it this way, it means the host has to have a lot of storage capacity.

Obviously intended for automotive apps where they have a powerful processor with plenty of storage and minimal concern about power consumption and space.

__________

Zoiks,

Just busted my balloon. Looks like a job for the flyin' computer in Sky Cammo! ;-) Most cell phones today have GPS chips, not for you to use on the phone, but to allow big brother to find you.......are you lost?

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Chuck RudyThat 256k of code uploading may not be that much of a problem anymore. The Atmel serial eeprom below is 128k x 8 and very easy to interface to a microcontroller.They are 8 pin soic so would not take up any extra space really. Two of them added to an altimeter setup would take care of it. The processor would only need two pins to communicate with the eeprom. An extra $10 for the eeproms and you still have a very small GPS unit.

?Ref=124068&Row=161)4

I can see it now.... Estes rockets with GPS guidance back to the pad! (couple of pager motors for steering?)

-Stuart Leslie

Reply to
Stuart Leslie

Chuck Rudy>Zoiks,Just busted my balloon. Looks like a job for the flyin' computer in SkyCammo! > ;-) Most cell phones today have GPS chips, not for you to use onthe phone, >but to allow big brother to find you.......are you lost?ChuckCurriously Chuck your message was removed from the server.But I can reply to this reply.If your gonna use the flyin' computer (as seen in the latest SR ;-) Then youmight as well just use a nice big GPS unit. I wont fly it again till LDRS,and I hope to have GPS and wireless network installed by then.RDH8I removed it after thinking about it because they weren't my words. But it got replied to before I tanked it. Ah well. Do you have any video from NYPOWER on your first flight? Putting together this DVD is giving me headaches as I'm trying to tackle new software as well, or it might have been out by now. Steep learning curves make me slide downhill, backwards. :-)

Chuck

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Chuck RudyYa, Chuck, lumpy N2O.

It was an FX grain so it was "supposed" to do that ;-)

RDH8

Just the one you posted Chuck. Can't wait for the DVD.

RDH8 We have both flights, I had been wondering if you'd caught any onboard.........when you got the fuel grain back on the second shot was there an obvious reason for the chunks flying out? Maybe just lumpy Nitrous? ;-)

Chuck

Reply to
Robert DeHate