California Model Show

Anyone have a report on the turnout for the "Men Metal and Machines "show in CA? I hope it was a huge success. Gary and Jared always put a lot of effort and thought into the organization of these events. I'm sure this one was no different.

Reply to
RonC9876

--Never been to one before in the USA; it was awesome! Nicely done, but hey, Visalia is California's armpit. Closer to the coast next time would be my vote.

Reply to
steamer

I was there Saturday, from around 12:30- 5:30. Its a 1.5 drive north from my place. I found it to be pretty active, with a good crowd for a first show. Enough vendors were there, including Scott Logan (a true gentleman), Leigh from MarMachine, whom also posts here, and Dave from Merrimack (?) Machine, to give the locals some idea of the new technologies and a very very nice collection of hobby machinists showing their toys, and demonstating them. A very big pond was setup inside for those whom make boats.

I think next years show will be a huge sucess, as the word gets around about the neat things they saw. I talked to a number of local homeshop machinists, and they were astounded at the advances in both machines and in techniques of both metalcutting and hardware. Several guys were fascinated by quick change tool holders as they have been using lantern tool posts for years as they didnt know any better. I made several contacts, and had one gent Ive done business with before, stop down at the homestead Sunday and relieve me of the old Shaublin lathe I had stockpiled in the backyard.

I had a gentleman ask me for parts for an 820 Logan, and I brought it up for him, but we failed to make connections. Next show..I think it would be nice if the promoters provided some sort of name badge, where a person could put their name and city/town on it. Shrug. Ill bring my own next year, just in case

From the comments of the attendees I talked to, and the various venders..it was a good first show. Now as to it being a financial sucess? No idea.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Hey Gunner,

Glad it was a good show. First impressions and all, you know.

As to making contacts with others, I suspect Scott Logan would also have had the dark blue T-shirts with the Logan crest and "@" symbol in bright red. The symbol is to denote an internet HSMer. Scott is also a good "contact point", at least at the NAMES show, for us guys to find out who else is roaming around, and what direction and when he last saw them.

And you are right, he really is a true and honest gentleman, isn't he?

Glad you made it too. I suspect lots of guys there were happy to shake your hand for your contributions to the hobby.

Take care.

Brian Laws>On 27 Oct 2003 14:20:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RonC9876) wrote: >

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Hummm...Im not sure "happy" is the appropriate term....given the number of times I heard "infamous" used..the sudden cringing and backpeddling when they read my name tag, the cloves of garlic and crucifixes that appeared, and the crowd with torches and pitchforks I left behind in the parking lot as I drove away.

I met some wonderful people, made some great contacts and only wish Id been able to talk longer with everyone I met. I didnt even wear my NRA hat , but the" Nuke the Gay Baby Whales for Jesus" T-shirt and matching six-guns, got a lot of comments.

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Reply to
Gunner

Mine says "Nuke the unborn gay baby whales with a handgun in the name of Allah, Amen". A little something for everyone you know. I think the back should have "Jesus Saves, Allah Forgives, Cthuthlu thinks you would make a tasty sandwich."

Cheers, Stan

Reply to
Stan Stocker

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:47:29 GMT, Stan Stocker brought forth from the murky depths:

There ya go.

One of the guys on a Javascript group has that sig. How 'bout Jesus Saves (Moses invests)?

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Reply to
Gunner

Ed,

It was good to see you and finally put a face to the posts.

I agree about location, sort of. Visalia seemed a lovely location, from what little I saw of it, and the hotel and convention center were great.

The problem is getting there. Coming from northern Illinois, there is no direct driving route, and flying in was not going to be easy. I ended up driving, but had to go through Las Vegas, and Barstow, CA, before heading north along Rt 99.

In talking with Gary, the location was chosen due to it's central location, about midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles. He wanted to draw from both areas, and it seemed to work in that respect.

The show was successful enough that Gary said it *WILL* be on again next year, and we will be back as well.

Reply to
Scott S. Logan

I liked the location. Flew into LA and was glad to get away from there. With the fires it sounded like there might be a problem getting out. Fortunately that didn't materilize. The models were beautiful. The sound of miniature V8s or radial engine just needs to be heard. The frame of what will be a model Dusenberg was real craftmanship. Seminars on pattern making and CNC were well presented. Met some very nice people. Very enjoyable weekend.

If you have the opportunity to go next year, go.

Gary Repesh

Reply to
GJRepesh