My first Cabin Fever

Went to Cabin Fever for the first time. Here's some thoughts.
The good:
1) Met Errol Groff- a truly good guy- and I got to see some of his
students' work. Very impressive.
2) Some of the vendors were class acts- MSC and littlemachineshop.com
had some friendly helpful folks, who put up with all sorts of kooks,
including yours truly. MSC gave out popcorn and catalogs,
littlemachineshop.com encouraged customers to handle the merchandise.
3) Some of the 'flea market type' vendors weren't afraid to horse
trade and had stuff worth buying.
4) The temporary pool for the steamboats (and electric subs) was way
cool.
5) Lindsay.
6) All of the exhibitors were friendly, wonderful folks. Some of the
projects were astounding- model Gatling guns, a _working_ flathead 4
about an inch and a quarter long, every kind of steam/Stirling/Ringbom
engine ever. But the best was the V-twin model because it sounded
great when the throttle was wide open.
The bad:
1) The auction was held Friday and most of the items were appearently
bought by vendors to be re-sold on Saturday or Sunday. The general
public never had a chance at the auction stuff.
2) The consignment area had some truly overpriced stuff.
3) So did some of the vendors ($925 for a small Atlas shaper?).
4) Some of the vendors had what could only be described as scrap.
The ugly:
1) The show staff. No one seemed to be in charge. We had a lot of
stuff to bring in and one staff guy said we could use the side
entrance. As we brought in the different engines, displays,and boxes,
another staff guy yelled at us, said we were trying to sneak in
without paying, ect, ect. He had the balls to yell "When I tell you to
do something, you do it!" At which point my friend pointed out that
without exhibitors, there is no show and he could politely f*ck off.
-Carl
Reply to
Carl Byrns
Aw shucks. Thanks you Carl for the kind words.
Errol Groff
Reply to
Errol Groff
Sigh....give little people a little power, and..watch out. JR Dweller in the cellar
Carl Byrns wrote:
Reply to
JR North
Sorry you had that bad experience. I myself was thinking of going this year (also for the first time) but the compination of the weather and my daughter getting over her virus kind of ruled it out. But next year I'll look for you, and we can lump up the malefactors together!
Jim
jim rozen
Carl Byrns wrote
Carl, Glad to hear you attended. Too bad you didn't stop by and introduce yourself (I was the guy with the "overpriced" $925 Atlas shaper with original paint, original vise, original stand, etc.) ;^) Anyway, Just so you know: The "Staff" basically consists of 3 people: Gary Schoenly, His son Jared, and his wife Joan. The rest gets done more or less by friends (myself included) and family who volunteer their time. Hope you were impressed enough with the show to realize what a monumental undertaking it is. I'm sure anyone who has attended can understand that the "staff" might get a little frazzled at times. This year, for the first time, Gary hired a few of the fairground's security personell. This was in an effort to reduce the number of folks who enter through the various fire exits without paying. I suspect your difficulties stemmed from a lack of communication between these new hirees and the staff. Hopefully it will get ironed out for the next show, I'll be sure to bring it up.
I, for one, appreciate the many benefits of having basically one person (Gary) in charge of everything. While it may spread that person a bit thin, at least it doesn't take a committee of eleven to determine wether or not you can have an extra table in your booth (like at the NAMES show).
Reply to
Dave Ficken
Which V twin was it? chuck
Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood
Don't know where here is, but shapers in the chicago area don't sell that cheap. I regularly attend NAMES and there were more than 4 shapers there last year, all were priced way above 250 and all of them got sold. The going price is whatever the market will bear.
Last year, 2003, I went to cabin fever. On saturday, gary made all the exibitors wait outside and only let in the vendors early. Got no clue what that was about, but it REALLY pissed me off!
Gary runs these shows not to promote the hobby, but only to make a buck. In my opinion, he has too many shows. I have talked to some vendors that specialize in the hobby and they state that they cannot attend 5 shows a years. Some have to travel long distance and are working on a shoe string budget. They cannot sell enough kits to pay for their trip, much less make a profit. Also exibitors like myself cannot attend all the shows and without good exibitor turnout, the public will not disappointed and eventually stop coming. So I think to many shows is worst than too few.
chuck
Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood
It was air cooled with one fan per jug. The fans looked like they were originally used for 486 processors. Real nice sheetmetal shrouds.
-Carl
Reply to
Carl Byrns
snipped-for-privacy@w-sherwood.ih.lucent.com (Charles A. Sherwood) wrote
Nobody is holding a gun to anyones head and forcing them to travel to a show they can't afford to attend. I can't afford to go to all of them either. It's real simple, I stay home for most of them. I gave NAMES a try last year. I made less money all weekend than I made on Friday (set up day) at Cabin Fever. Guess what, I'm not going back. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have the show, it just means you won't see my smilin' face there anytime soon. I wish them the best of luck nonetheless. FYI, Gary holds a vendor/ exhibitor meeting Saturday evening at the show where you would be welcome to bring up any questions, complaints, or suggestions and get an answer on the spot. Many good suggestions have been raised at the meetings and have been acted upon.
Regards, Dave
Reply to
Dave Ficken
That was designed by Jerry Howell

Dennis J Brown
That's the one.
-Carl
Reply to
Carl Byrns
Hi Dave, We have significantly different perspective about model shows. I feel that model shows are there to show the public what we do and to help other model builders and even encourage other people to join our hobby. I feel that too many shows will reduce the quality of the shows and maybe the public will no longer feel it is worth coming to the model shows.
I think there are several distinct catagories of vendors. I was refering to vendors that sell hobby specific items such as casting kits, model plans, model specific parts, etc. These guys are mostly retired and living on fixed income. They sell a limited number of kits per year reguardless of how many shows they attend. In my opinion these vendors are critical to the model building hobby, for without them we won't have any models to build! More than one has told me there are too many shows and they can't and won't attend more than a couple per year. Many exibitors feel the same way. This affects the hobby in a negative manner.
I put machinery dealers into a totally different catagory. I love buying tools at the shows and I spend lots of money there too, but in my opinion the shows are about showing models and promoting the hobby, not about buying tools.
Exibitors make the show; without them you there is no show. Whoever is running the show needs to keep that in mind!
chuck
Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood
That would be Jerry Howells engine. Who unfortunately told me that he will not be attending NAMES or CF anymore.
chuck
Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood