Cabin Fever

A really nice show this year. Loved the auction. I've never seen quite so much metalworking stuff all in one place before, and many of the prices seemed pretty reasonable. The Monarch 10EE went for $500 bucks, and though it didn't look in the best of shape, it did have a relatively new solid state speed controller of the type that Gunner mentioned a number of posts ago. I bid up to $500 for a South Bend shaper that looked pretty nice, it soon went for something like $675. There was a nicer one with pressure lubrication near the consignment area for about $700. I wish that I'd known something about old outboard motors. A whole bunch of them went for just a few bucks apiece, including a nice Firestone. I bid on some other stuff, but found it always just beyond what I thought was a bargain. Regarding shapers, the place seemed absolutely infested with them. Between all of the machinery dealers, the auction, and the consignment area, I counted seven: one Logan, two Rhodes, two South Bends, and two Atlae - all for around $700. Judging from the way stuff is moving on ebay, that seems to be about the price of the animal these days. In just about the middle of the auction on Friday, a rather quiet fellow appeared with a pallet jack and pallet loaded with what for me was the most fun of all: an early hammered-blue Emco V10-p Maximat in absolutely, no kidding, mint showroom time-warp condition with just about every accessory Emco ever made for it, including all literature, manuals, and ads. He had the milling head, he had the milling table, the steady rest, the follow rest, the dividing head (plates were there but he'd forgotten the actual thing, didn't know what it was), he had the angle plates, the hold downs, the whole shooting match. It must have been nearly 30 years old and he'd just cleaned off the cosmoline. Wow. He wanted $3500 for the whole collection and it seemed like a bargain to me. I thought about buying it and selling my machine on ebay. Then, I thought about explaining that to my wife and how the cash-flow situation might need some explaining... Found myself at the booth of a guy named Slav Jelesijevich of Slav's Hardware Store, who specializes in NOS files. Got addicted to Swiss pattern files, number twos and threes in odd shapes and bought a whole mess of them. Now I have to make the handles. Richard Triemestra had a beautiful Myford ML7 he'd pulled out of a basement in Detroit after it's original owner had probably passed away and the family moved out. The new owner of the house told him he had a Craftsman lathe for sale because that was what the electric motor said. "Does it say anything else on it?" Triemestra asked. "Well," the guy said, "It says 'my ford' on it, just like the car" "I'll be right down," said Triemestra. The machine turned out to lack a compound rest, but it did have a mint milling attachment and three chucks. I loved the people and the stories, everywhere. Stories about lives spent in industry, so much of it gone now, and finding some solace in recreating it on a smaller scale, a kind of techno-bonsai almost, generations of toolmakers and machinists pruning their basements, adding some more files, scrapers, and sometimes another machine if the pension allows it. Kept meaning to ask Mr. Sobel about that 20 percent discount if you served in Burma during the great war, but never had the chance. Rudy Kouhoupt's absence was palpable. Everywhere you turned his fans and admirers had brought the projects that he'd described over the years. One builder had put his photo on an engine turned panel. He's left a huge void. I found myself with some other guys talking to Clover McKinley, editor of Live Steam, about it all. Turns out Rudy died very much the way he had quietly lived. "He had cleaned the dishes and neatly stacked them just the way you might imagine Rudy always did everything. Then, he sat down in his easy chair with a shawl around his shoulders and picked up the new issue of Live Steam....That's the way they found him." God bless him.

Charles Morrill

Reply to
Charles Morrill

Give dave a call. If he said it, it's probably true.

This sounds too poetic to be true - not saying it isn't, but it's the first time I've heard of it.

Thanks for your impressions, posts like this bring back the old flavor of rcm. I heard somebody (a dealer, perhaps) had a small Elgin milling machine for sale at the show that did not sell. Any recollection of it, or who might have had it for sale?

Thanks - Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

The folks that run the show do a great job. But it's the people that attend that keep you coming back. A stranger will see you looking for something, say "I think I saw one over there" and lead you to it. My son was cornering the 1/4-20 tap supply because the kids in the FIRST team he mentors have a gift for breaking them. When he mentioned (in passing)why he wanted a _bunch_ of taps to a gentleman at one of the booths, the FIRST team was given a bin full.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

That might have been Peter. I went to high school with Peter.

OOh. Maybe time to take a trip to Closter. Thanks for the tip.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen