Suplemental: Descon12 Status Check #1

Hi All,

15 days have clipped by and I just wanted to do a public status check. Please respond to this note with something as simple as, "I'm in and progressing". If you'd like to expand on that, please do. Perhaps what you are working on.

I'm concerned that Descon12 is too complicated to get the full mission point, but want to encourage all to focus on getting at least some of the mission point if they can't get it all (that's what I will be doing)...

oh, yes.... I'm in and progressing on ... something, but I am going for MicroMaxx + Cluster for 0.4 mission points.

Regards, Nick

Reply to
EMRR

working on it.

Reply to
zak orion

I'm in and progressing...

I guess progressing is a word.. I received "The Kit" from FlisKits, quickly and with exceptional service, now I stare at it occasionally..wondering... Having no experience with MM motors, I do have a question or two.

  1. What would be the best way to light a cluster of these tiny things? Flash or electrically with the supplied ignitors?
  2. Does anyone know what a ballpark weight is that each motor would be capable of lifting?

My first thought was to tape an F straight to the bag, and light her up, I am not a fan of Science Fiction typically, so this should be an challenge for me.

I'm in, and "progressing"

Chris

Reply to
DaDfLaSh

I'm just going for the cluster points. MOdel's done, no flight, no plans yet.

nOrM

Reply to
Norm Dziedzic

researching.....for full mission points....I got two months or so, so i'll make sure i got two good looking entries and then get the kits

Reply to
tater schuld

I'm in and progressing well. I actually plan to be done within a week or so. I going for the full mission points.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

You will find a lot of good information here:

EMRR

I have finished one entry but was unable to fly it yet as our local launch was canceled last week due to wind. Should qualify for full mission points.

Stuart

EMRR wrote:

Reply to
Stuart Lenz

Not in yet but thinking about it. My hang up is that I have yet to figure out how to cluster the 8-10 or so micromaxx motors that will be necessary to get my model airborne. Can anybody help out here. I suppose I could extract the igniters from their plastic casings and then parallel wire them to the controller.

As for comedy sci-fi ships ... not many of them come to mind (Wallace and Gromit). How about a "fantasy" comedy sci-fi ship?

David S. Chen

Reply to
Davidhuifang

David,

That probably won't work well. I fly MM-powered Mosquitos and Quarks without benefit of the MM launcher, and have used several ignitiion schemes using a standard 1/8" rod and launcher.

After splitting the MM ignitor apart, they can be affixed to a clothespin clipped to the rod, but they're prone to shorting.

My latest and best technique is to sort thru my stash and use the sharpest, pointiest Estes ignitors, again taped to a clothespin. But this won't be suitable for clusters, either.

I'm thinking bare nichrome wire is the best way to go, in conjunction with some sort of specialized, homemade ignitor plug. What's needed is a short length of plastic or wood that will insert into the MM nozzle, but that has a notch on its forward end to allow the nichrome to rest on it. This should help prevent shorting and ensure the nichrome is fast against the fuel.

I suppose, if you have some non-conductive pyrogen, dipping them might be a big help. Getting them all lit at the same time would probably be much easier with some pyrogen.

The nozzles seem too small for flash pan, but if you could insert fuses into each nozzle, then flash pan might work.

Just thinking out loud...

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

How about the cool "retro '50s" rocket from Futurama?

Reply to
RayDunakin

Here's the rundown on comedy sci-fi ships, someone chime in if I've forgotten any:

- Wallace & Gromit's Moon Rocket

- "Star Bug" from Red Dwarf

- "Planet Express" from Futurama

- Dr. Evil's rocket from "Austin Powers"

- Winnebago-type craft from "Spaceballs"

Somewhat more obscure, or maybe not quite as funny-looking:

- "Red Dwarf" from Red Dwarf

- "Heart of Gold" or "Vogon Destructor" from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

- Mixer-craft or Iron-craft from "Hardware Wars"

Reply to
BB

DOH! I left out a couple of Saturday morning cartoon possibilities; there's the "Josie and the Pussycats" rocket (there's actually scale data of this in Jack Hagerty's 'Spaceship Handbook'!) and the Jetson's craft, as well.

Also, the Masculine/Feminine starships from the old Saturday Night Live skit, circa late 70's. I can't remember what they look like, except - well - there was a major 'snicker factor', for anyone who remembers this skit.

Reply to
BB

Bob, on the subject of sci-fi comedy ships, you mentioned the Muppet's "Pigs in Space" starship a while back. I looked for some images but couldn't find anything except bridge shots, and I'll be darned if I can remember if they ever showed the ship itself in the skits. What's your recollection?

-B. "Miss Piggy vs. T'Pol - tough choice!" B.

Reply to
BB

I'd think any of the old Flash Gordon / Buck Rogers stuff would count today. Also the Duck Dodgers and Marvin ships.

Bob Kaplow

Me? Recollection? Ask me what I did Tuesday morning. I don't remember. Maybe they never did show the whole thing. Build the inside!

Bob Kaplow

I think they're pretty funny by today's standards...

Bob Kaplow

I'm not Bob, but yes, they did show the Swinetrek from the outside.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

LOL! You're suffering from age-related CRS as well? Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Maybe I can build the inside, in a Klein bottle!

Reply to
BB

Are you sure you're not Bob? Maybe we're all Bob! Or maybe Bob's your uncle!

Awesome, thanks!

Reply to
BB