Heading to the SanFrancisco Bay Area on Friday for a truck hunt.

I am flying down to Berkely tomorrow to start seearching for a new truck. My 1985 Toyota 1-ton died last week and there ain't much to pick from in Seattle in Toyota trucks. I am taking the opportunity to see my family and search for a newer truck where they are plentiful.

My dream truck is a '92 long bed deluxe, but they are pretty rare. The long beds were discontinued in '92, as were the 1-tons. But the in '91 and '92 you had to get a V-6 if you wanted the 1-ton, and Toyota v-6's suck.

I am planning on rebuilding the engine in the '85 myself, so I will end up with 2 trucks. I will convert my 1-ton into a flatbed, like I have wanted to for a while.

Anybody know about rebuilding 22REC engines? Supposedly the Rod Bearing died. All I know is it sounded brutal when it went.

I am 38 today. No big deal, but damnit I am taking back my birthday from the world this year. If they officially make it Patriot day I suppose it will be nice to have a federal holiday on my birthday.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

--Hey Ernie give me a call if you get da chance! Big changes happening in my shop at the moment.. :-)

Reply to
steamer

Happy birthday! on your truck engine, before you spend a lot of time and work overhauling the motor, look into those places that sell the used Japanese motors. every one that I have talked to about these have had good luck with them.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The 22R is a good engine. Cheap to rebuild. Things to do and watch out for when rebuilding: The 22R pistons are pretty short in the skirt(ok for women, not so good with pistons). You should replace them, and have the cylinders carefully bored/honed for minimum skirt clearance. Otherwise, piston slap on a cold motor is guaranteed. If you cut the head and/or deck alot, the timing chain tensioner will run out of oomph after about 75K, and the chain will start rattling. CopperCoat the head gasket, and retorque after 1k. Use only the early style, large oil filter for the carbed

22R. Happy Birthday- JR Dweller >
Reply to
JR North

Happy Birthday Ernie -

One who was in the movie like yourself resemble one :-)

Best regards and good luck in the bay area - live south and work in the south end - it is HOT this week - very hot indeed.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

No go.

20R and 22R engines are domestic rebuilds only.

Something about the Japanese versions having something the EPA didn't like, so you can't import the Japanese ones. Unlike just about every other engine Toyota ever used.

Best price I found was $1250 for a refurbished and $1650 for a full rebuild.

The engine is the only thing on my truck that I haven't gotten into, so it is about time.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks. Mine is a fuel injected model. Anything different?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

It's a longshot, but check out Craig's List.

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in news:110920031436096725% snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com:

Joe Landau

And I saw a free Toyota 22R motor there! Under free stuff.

Joe Landau wrote in news:Xns93F3DE8E3847Bjrlversaformcom@199.45.49.11:

Reply to
Joe Landau

On Craig's List?

I have been checking it already for trucks.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Honest Charley sells an adapter kit that'll let you drop a small block Chevy engine in there.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Got a URL for that?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Oh I almost forgot, since you are going to Berkley, Don't forget to Swing by Kasper's at Telegraph & Shattuck and have a couple of hot dogs.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Description ? $7,200, TOYOTA PICKUP, 1992 1 TON FLATBED, runs/looks great, AC, $7,200, 916- 978-9197 ...

Ernie, That is from sacbee.com Classifieds D>

Reply to
Don Murray

Hmmm. Looks like Honest hisself has retired. The company info says it was bought out by Cofer Tire and now only handles custom show parts for vintage cars.

Anyway, they used to handle Advance Adaptors products. And one of them was an adaptor to mate a Chevy engine to a Toyota transmission. Probably made on the West Coast. Making your own adaptor isn't rocket science, especially for anyone in this newsgroup.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Advance Adapters is in Paso Robles, CA. They sell direct.

JTMcC.

Reply to
John T. McCracken

That's them. Here's the URL to the bits needed to stuff a Chevy in the Toy.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

I did a google search and it looks like the Buick V-6 is actually a better fit. Hmmmmmm........things to think about.

Kind of frustrated looking for trucks down here. Very few people seem to use the classifieds. There are millions of Toyota trucks down here, and I mean everywhere, but very few for sale, especially in the price and age range I was hoping for. I might have to accept a Tacoma truck after all. I was trying to stick with '90 to '95 trucks since they use the same engine as my '85, which I can field strip blind folded. Tacoma trucks are a whole different beast, but all the reference sites list reliability of tacomas as excellent, even better than the earlier trucks.

the Tacoma Extra cabs are nice, but they start at $9000 and climb rapidly into the ether.

I just can't figure out where people are buying and selling trucks around here. The online sites like Craigslist and Cars.com have trucks, but most are 4WD, and at dealers lots.

Oh well, I have a few more days to search I did buy a one way ticket.

BTW watching 200 people taking off their shoes is worth the wait in line to board your plane. Very funny, especially since they don't have carpets on the floors at SeaTac airport.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler