Joints

I am looking for sort of universal joint, except I don't need flexing, I need to slip in and out maintaining accuracy around the rotation of a wheel that moves
in and out. Using a stepper to turn that wheel. The stepper will be fixed and be on axis with the wheels center of spin.
greg
snipped-for-privacy@pitt.edu (GregS) writes:

Try looking for "splined shafts" -- not actually a u-joint.

That would work. I guess vehicles have splined shafts on driveshafts so they can shorten or lengthen as necessary. I was thinking more on the lines of a hollow notched shaft with a pin on the mating shaft. I'm actually rotating something like a micrometer, not much torque. Its actually a hydraulically controlled manipulator.
greg
GregS wrote:

Take a look at this family of splined shafts:
    http://www.huco.com/products.asp?cat 2
Is that what you need?
                John Nagle

That might work. I have the 1/4 inch motor shaft and the drive mechanism about 1/2 inch. Its a matter of attaching. I was thinking more on the lines of a Delrin outer cylinder with a long notch in it. We can make anything here, but I was just trying to find something allready built.
greg
GregS wrote:

Keep looking on that site, under "shaft assemblies":
http://www.huco.com/products.asp?p=true&cat 8
You can buy telescoping shaft assemblies with or without universal joints on the end. Give them a call.
                John Nagle                 Animats