Joints

I am looking for sort of universal joint, except I don't need flexing, I need to slip in and out maintaining accuracy around the rotation of a wheel that moves in and out. Using a stepper to turn that wheel. The stepper will be fixed and be on axis with the wheels center of spin.

greg

Reply to
GregS

in and out.

with the wheels

Try looking for "splined shafts" -- not actually a u-joint.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

That would work. I guess vehicles have splined shafts on driveshafts so they can shorten or lengthen as necessary. I was thinking more on the lines of a hollow notched shaft with a pin on the mating shaft. I'm actually rotating something like a micrometer, not much torque. Its actually a hydraulically controlled manipulator.

greg

Reply to
GregS

in and out.

with the wheels

Take a look at this family of splined shafts:

Is that what you need?

John Nagle

Reply to
John Nagle

That might work. I have the 1/4 inch motor shaft and the drive mechanism about

1/2 inch. Its a matter of attaching. I was thinking more on the lines of a Delrin outer cylinder with a long notch in it. We can make anything here, but I was just trying to find something allready built.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Keep looking on that site, under "shaft assemblies":

You can buy telescoping shaft assemblies with or without universal joints on the end. Give them a call.

John Nagle Animats

Reply to
John Nagle