Low cost vision system, thoughts

Maybe, but the human eye uses both BW and color, using IR cross hairs for one type of vision and color for another.

Reply to
mlw

btw, chook = chicken (in Australian).

"JGCASEY" wrote;

Reply to
Kevin Gomez

chook = "sweater cap" in USA, AlsoKnownAs a "beanie",

aiiadict

If not stated here already...

On a color imager, you have a bayer pattern of colored filters. It looks something like :

RGRGRGRGRG GBGBGBGBGB

Thit means there are 2x as many green pixels as red or blue. I.E. a green laser is a good choice for structured light.

The reason for having an IR cut on the imager is that the Bayer' pattern's dyes all pass IR. You lose color sensitivity unless you remove the IR

Mike

Reply to
blueeyedpop

A grey card, white card, or better yet, several shades of a known neutral color. You can get a macbeth color checker for a better idea of what you are rendering, if you really want to get serious about this stuff.

cost around $100(USD) for a 36 patch chart. They also make a 140 patch unit for ~$300(USD) but that is excessive for my uses. The macbeth chart is calibrated, and the actual chromacity values are provided for your reference.

Auto white balance is still a best guess, and doesn't cut it all the time.

A diffuse illumination sensor can help you make better guesses of ambient illumination.

THere is a lot of information out there regarding color science, illumanants, color temperature etc.

Mike

Reply to
blueeyedpop

Not me I'm afraid. I like people to get to the point and make it simple. A product should be easy to use and not require years of training or infinite patience be it hardware or software if they expect a wider usage of the product.

An example in another area might be the sale of a new kind of fruit or vegetable. Give people recipes and instructions how they can use the product and suddenly it becomes a desirable item.

All I wanted was access to the data of a web cam at a usable rate and an easy to learn language that can compile code fast enough to deal with data in real time so I could concentrate on what really interests me. I figured a VC++ shell using DirectX or whatever would do the job. That is not going to happen so I will just have to accept it and go do something else.

-- JC

Reply to
JGCASEY