MB Power supply

Does anyone make an efficient power supply for ATX motherboards that runs on 6 or 12 VDC? I am working on building a mid sized robot, possibly using
Evolution Robotics software. I have made several small robot projects using Basic Stamps and PICs and would like to make a robot with much more advanced capabilities like object and speech recognition. I am also considering using 6 wheg drive. I think I can use microcontrollers to synchronize the whegs, rather than rely on mechanical coupling. I also have come up with elegant timing and proximity sensor circuits to really optimize the performance of microcotrollers, if anyone is interested. Klaus

What on Earth is a wheg?
Tom

whegs,
A wheg is like a wheel with spokes sticking out of it. If it is synchronized properly, it combines the benefits of wheels and legs. Klaus
Klaus Hellnick wrote:

Ah, kind of like a whenis.
If you're not stuck on using an existing MB you could consider a nano-itx. 5 volt only (I believe), and much lower power consumption to boot. If not, I'm pretty sure people have done this using inverters, although you'll need to use an ATX supply, and there will be some efficiency loss (although allegedly, it's not too bad).
You could probably build a supply directly, but you'll need a hefty 3.3v as well as 5 volt supply. You may find that the appropriate DC-DC converters are either expensive, hard-to-find, or a PITA to build. If you're not using an HD, you may be able to punt on the 12 volt conversion, and I belive the -12 volt is only used for rs-232.
Hope that helps -- tAfkaks
--
(reply to mikey at swampgas dot com -- ignore the spamtrap Reply-To)

You sick little monkey!
message

synchronized
The nano ITX sounds interesting. I did not know such boards were available in 5V. I am absolutely not interested in using an inverter and standard supply. I would have thought someone would have designed a simple drop in 12 VDC ATX power supply by now using DC-DC converters. I have seen Micro-ITX boards, but not the nanos. For those interested in whegs, here is a neat site with mini whegs. I am working on something a little more sophisticated. http://biorobots.cwru.edu/projects/whegs/miniwhegs.html Whegs run much smoother when synchronized. It seems to me that doing it right requires encoders and microcontrollers, though a quick and dirty (and limited) method is to mechanically couple the whegs with gears or toothed belts.
Klaus

I just got a 150W opus power supply from linitx.com, although I guess if you are in the US you could get it more cheaply than them (linitx are UK based). It'll run an M series ITX board directly from a (rather tired) SLA battery. no inverters.
They do a cheaper 90W supply, and a few cheaper vehicle power supplies, and some brick based supplies..
The word on the street is that nano boards will be around soon, but they won't propogate into the market until late 2004 probably.
Dave
Have a look at:
<http://www.mini-box.com/ <http://www.dc2dc.com/store/store.html <http://www.bytechinc.com/un80x.htm
Paul.

Try the power supplies at this link:
http://www.idotpc.com/TheStore/Peripheral/case/Default_ps_itx.asp?Cate.id
I plan on buying some for my own PC powered robot.
DT