mechanics tutorials/books

Can anyone recommend some good basic mechanics tutorials/books that would
help me to learn how to choose and assemble, or build when possible,
robot parts?
I'm interested in gears, ball/linear bearings, shafts, tracks etc. but
most projects use part no X bought at the store Y, while I'd rather
build, recycle or reuse old parts, therefore some details on machining
and reworking would alse be nice.
Thanks!
Reply to
asdf