mechanics tutorials/books

Can anyone recommend some good basic mechanics tutorials/books that would help me to learn how to choose and assemble, or build when possible, robot parts? I'm interested in gears, ball/linear bearings, shafts, tracks etc. but most projects use part no X bought at the store Y, while I'd rather build, recycle or reuse old parts, therefore some details on machining and reworking would alse be nice. Thanks!

Reply to
asdf