Miami Valley, Ohio Robotics Club

I live in Englewood, Ohio, North of Dayton and I want to start a Robotics club working on using the handy board and developing the
RepRad fabricator for making parts for the bots. I would like to open up my home for meetings. I live at 808 Bonnycastle, Englewood, Ohio, 45322 (937)836-7033 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com. I propose we meet on the first Saturday of the month and set an agenda. I have already built the handy board and I'm collecting parts for Darwin replicator, check out www.reprap.org on the internet. I could use a machinist type for fabing some parts on a lathe.
Dean Schrickel, P.E.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If I lived near Dayton I'd come!
In addition to posts here, you might consider starting a Yahoo group for your club. You can post messages there, and interested folks can sign up to be members.
Speaking of Reprap, I once saw in action an FDM to create some amazing 3D parts. I can't imagine how much it cost, but I always thought if I ever won the lottery I'd buy one -- if nothing else just to have it! But it one could really be built with just $400 worth of parts, I wouldn't even need to win the lottery.
-- Gordon

Hello,
I live in Dayton too, I started this group (http://groups.google.com / group/DOROBO) on google groups a while ago, but it doesn't get much interest. Sounds fun, I think it would be great to have an actual place to do robotics projects, were people can pull resources together and create bigger and better things than they would be able to on there own.
I haven't seen evidence that there is large hobby robotics following in the Miami Valley area, but I do know a few people that are.
Joe McKibben
Joe wrote:

You have to let people know about it, and the timing has to be right. The interest appears highest in tech centers of the country, and around colleges that specialize in technical courses. It'll be hard to start any club during the summer. At the start of the new school year shoot off some e-mails to the department heads of the nearby high schools and colleges to let them know about the group.
Post your own projects and "seed" the board with your own postings. It's not exactly cool to go to one board and lure away users to another, but there's nothing wrong in inviting cooperation and interest.
Be sure to get your group added on all the FAQs and link lists that are out there.
-- Gordon

Oh, I am sorry I did not mean to try to lure anybody away from this board, I'm kind of new to this forum/message board thing. I was just showing I was trying to do the same thing and looking for people who lived in Dayton that were interested in Robotics.
I do apologize though, I just thought it was neat somebody else kind of had the same idea I did. You had suggested starting a Yahoo group and I was just saying that I had started one in Google Groups and we have a few members already that live in the Dayton area.
How do I go about getting my group added to theses FAQs?
Sorry again and Thanks, Joe McKibben
Joe wrote:

Sorry if I gave that impression! I didn't mean to suggest you were.
What I meant was in the context of publicizing your board it's usually OK to venture into other boards as long as it's not too "spammish." On the one hand you need to do publicity, on the other you need to remain a member of good standing in these other forums, so you don't want to get booted out. C.R.M. is a global resource so publicizing your local group every now and then here could hardly be a bother to anyone.

The FAQ authors are in the FAQ itself; shoot off a quick e-mail noting you'd like to be added.
There are also some Web sites that list local users groups. Do a Y, G, or MSN search and you'll turn these up. Send them an e-mail with your particulars.
-- Gordon

Cool,
Thanks for the info.
Speaking of that RepRad Fabricator. I just received my Popular Science magazine in the mail today and it has an article about the same type of thing in it. It gives a website (www.fabathome.com). It has blueprints to build your own fabber and its open source and stuff.
It looks pretty cool. A machine that can make about anything. It seems that it would be pretty useful for building robots. You wont have to worry about having a myriad of machine tools just one single device for all of your fabricating needs.
Thanks, Joe McKibben
replying to englewood1, Jye Swan wrote:

I live in Bellbrook (South of Dayton). I have been looking for a robot club close to home. I have a full machine shop set up in my garage. I just finished my 3rd robot and I am now working on turning my Enco milling machine into a CNC mill. contact me at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
click to open the full size version of the image
I live way up in the Seattle area and I am offering free Artificial Intelligence
http://www.nlg-wiki.org/systems/Mind.Forth
http://www.nlg-wiki.org/systems/Wotan
software to amateur and professional roboticists. In the past year, the Robot AI Minds have attained the ability to engage in automated reasoning with
(Amazon.com product link shortened) -- InFerence
published as an e-book with 25 Chapters: Introduction; Function; Code; Purpose; Logic; Belief; Volition; Robots; Synergy; Forth; JavaScript; Troubleshooting; AI Minds in English; Wotan AI in German; Dushka AI in Russian; Polyglot AI Minds; Porting; History; Future; MasPar; Superintelligence; Singularity; Links; Glossary; Variables.
Arthur