More info on the Crystal Oscillators book...

Based on some requested info from respondants, here is more about the proposed Crystal Oscillator book.

The book will introduce the basic concepts of crystal oscillator theory, describe their operation, and explore their various applications. Special attention will be given to environmental and operational parameters (such as keeping the crystal inside a temperature-controlled "oven" for increased frequency stability). In addition, there will be material on the use of crystal-controlled oscillators in embedded systems.

I am not at liberty to reveal the author at this time since the book is not yet approved by our publishing commitee. But it is expected to be about 350 pages for $59.99.

Table of Contents below...

Chapter 1 History of the Crystal Introduction Basic Definitions Frequency Stability Accuracy Tolerance Resonance Resonator Oscillator Crystal Crystal Oscillator

Chapter 2 Quartz Crystal Resonators Introduction Growing Quartz Crystals Natural Quartz Cultured Quartz Swept Cultured Quartz The Crystal Resonator Mechanical Equivalent Model The Crystal Resonator Electrical Equivalent Circuit Model Crystal Cuts, AT-Cut, BT-Cut and SC-Cut AT-Cut Crystal BT-Cut Crystal SC-Cut Crystal Frequency versus Temperature Characteristics of Crystal Cuts

Chapter 3 Specifying Crystals Introduction Crystal Parameter Definitions Load Capacitance Equivalent Series Resistance (E.S.R) Motional Capacitance Shunt Capacitance Trim Sensitivity Pullability Holders Series Crystals Parallel Crystals Fundamental Crystals Overtone Crystals Pullable Crystals Inverted Mesa High Frequency Fundamental Crystals Strip Crystals Tuning Fork Crystals Present Day Crystal Packages Specification Template Advanced Crystal Topics Frequency vs. Temperature Equation Perturbations Aging DLD (Drive Level Dependency) Crystal Resonator Measuring Techniques

Chapter 4 Jitter and Phase Noise Introduction Types of Jitter: Period Jitter, Cycle-to-Cycle Jitter, Phase Jitter Total Jitter- Rj+Dj Phase Noise Definition Jitter in Oscillators S.S.B Phase Noise in Oscillators Transforming Phase Noise to Jitter

Chapter 5 Specifying Crystal Oscillators Introduction Output Waveforms HCMOS, Clipped-Sine, PECL, LVDS, CML Converting Waveform Circuits Clock Oscillators (XO) Commodity Clock Oscillators Voltage Controlled Crystal Oscillators (VCXOs) Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillators (TCXOs) Oven Controlled Crystal Oscillators (OCXOs ) Specification Templates Clock Template VCXO Template TCXO Template OCXO Template

Chapter 6 Basic Oscillator Theory Introduction Barkhausen Criteria for Oscillation Negative Resistance Model for Oscillators Basic Oscillator Topologies

Chapter 7 The Pierce-Gate Crystal Oscillator Introduction Theory of Operation Fundamental Crystal Design Third Overtone Crystal Design "Inductorless" Third Overtone Crystal Design Pierce-Gate Clock Design Example Pierce-Gate VCXO Design Example Pierce-Gate Characterization Measuring Gain Margin Measuring Negative Resistance Measuring Drive Level Problems with Pierce-Gate Jitter at low frequencies Start-up problems Correcting low gain Changing Drive level Pierce-Gate Inverter Parameter Extraction Computer Simulation of Pierce-Gate

Chapter 8 Colpitts Crystal Oscillator Design Introduction Computer Circuit Analysis Design Procedure VCXO Design Example

Chapter 9 Butler Gate Oscillator Design Introduction Computer Circuit Analysis Design Procedure VCXO Design Example

Chapter 10 Characterization of High Performance Crystal Oscillators Introduction Allan Variance Aging Characteristics Short-Term Stability TDEV, MTIE IBIS Models for Crystal Oscillators

Chapter 11 Crystal Oscillators Requirements in Telecommunications Introduction SONET/SDH Jitter Generation Requirements Special PLL design criteria requirements for Telecom Stratum Levels Synchronization Networks

Chapter 12 Testing Crystal Oscillators Introduction Applicable Military Standards Reliability Prediction

Chapter 13 Techniques of High Frequency Oscillator Designs Introduction PLL Multiplication Straight Multiplication Overtone and Fundamental Chapter 13 Generating IBIS Models for Crystal Oscillators

Appendix A Crystals and Oscillators for Dummies Appendix B Complex Frequency, Capacitance, Inductance

I WELCOME AND APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK/COMMENTS. EXPECTED PUBLICATION DATE OF BOOK IS AUGUST 2006.

Thanks all. Sorry post is so long.

Tara

Reply to
Tara

Your description above covers barely one percent of the Table of Contents, and likewise doesn't even hint at the actual depth amd breadth. You should rewrite the above paragraph and/or be sure to include the Table of Contents in any advertising literature.

If the actual content is as good as this table of contents, I think you'll have a good book on crystals and crystal oscillators. OTOH, I have no idea if there's enough of a market to justify publishing the book. On another group someone said the market for this book would be for

100 copies (for the 'oscillator guy' at each semiconductor house). That seems low to me, there are surely people like me who may not need everything in the book, but may buy it out of either need for a one-off high-quality design, or just plain technical interest. If you're lucky, it would become part of a college course.

This could conflict with the "... For Dummies" book series, the publishers of which are touchy about their (surely) trademarked book series name, and you don't even have a "fair use" excuse of it being a parody like this:

It MIGHT be okay as an appendix, something wholly internal to the book, but if you ever use the name of this appendix in your titles, you may have to ask an IP law attorney. It's probably a lot cheaper just to change the name of the appendix. How about "Crystals and Oscillators Made Simple," I haven't seen one of those "made simple" book series in a long time. IANAL, this is NOT legal advice, YMMV, etc.

That seems like a long time (especially in net.time), but I suspect that's about average for such technical books. Meanwhile, there's a recent news story about an atomic oscillator that's low power enough to be used in handheld consumer products (!). If it comes to market at a reasonable price, it could seriously affect the quartz crystal and oscillator market, and also the market for this book. If possible I'd add a chapter on the latest info on atomic oscillators. Here's the article:

I see you've already posted this to comp.arch.embedded and sci.electronics.design. I was going to suggest that. It looks like you're getting good responses on those groups.

Not at all, the Table of Contents especially was appreciated to show the breadth of coverage.

-----

Ben Bradley

Tara, This sounds like an excellent book. I hope you do publish it. As Ben stated I think the market may not be huge. However, the amateur radio group may also be very interested. It seems that there are few books or web documents that cover the subject well. I would buy the book. I agree with Ben that the table of contents is a big help in deciding that the book is worth purchasing. I hope the book has practical content as well. Oscillator circuits that use crystals. Filters ... It might also be good to contrast crystals with resonators, which are often used to replace crystals. The atomic clock that Ben mentions stil uses a crystal as well so the crystal is not obsolete.

Thanks for posting this, Regards, David Fahey snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com

Reply to
David Fahey