Neurons?

    I was refered to this group by my peers over in comp.robotics.misc. I have read some of the FAQ and I have to admit that some of the math
involved is over my head. Basically, I'm working on a machine intelligence experiment for robotic applications. Does anyone have any information on a computer model for a neuron? I am somewhat new to the subject but I have put in alot of thought about how to make this work. It goes like this:
    You have a neuron datatype. The datatype has values for input, input weights, output destinations, output weights, and memory storage. The datatype itself would be encapsulated into an object type with methods. Since each instance of an object is a pointer variable, I thought about having an array of objects and processing the data in the array sequentially, from position 0 through position x. Any changes to neuron data or firing states would be stored in a update buffer until the end of the array sequence was encountered. Then the update buffer would be read and all the neuron data would be updated at that point. Additionally, any flags that got set to create/destroy neurons would also be honored at this time. Then the process repeats.
Does this sound practical to anyone? Comments, hints, suggestions?
--
Daniel Rudy

Remove nospam, invalid, and 0123456789 to reply.
Daniel Rudy wrote:
(snip)
You want a copy of Ryans' Nexus and the Network Engine. See: http://64.233.167.104/search?q che:Q1LwSxyBVfEJ:neuron-ai.tuke.sk/ ~hudecm/d/nn/neural.html+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
The original web site is no longer on the server, above is the cache. The software is copyrighted and may still be in the public domain if you can locate Ryan.
Daniel Rudy wrote:

I don't have what you're looking for, but you may find Bug Brain interesting and entertaining: http://www.biologic.com.au/bugbrain /
Mitch Berkson
message

Hi Daniel, Yepp, artificial neurons and neural networks are a very well established area of computer science and have been for many years. I've done some work on image recognition (discriminating white blood cell types) using some neural network architectures.
Here's a link to an introduction (someone else's). You will find many more by gooling on combinations of terms such as "neural networks" "neuron".
Your description of how such a network might work is very close to the mark.
Cheers, Alf