Newbie : Robosapien ?

I am new to Robotics. I am a programmer by trade. I thought that it would be fun to get one of these robots and program it. Basically, I
wanted to write code and make it do what I want it to do. First, I wanted to start of with something easy, then work my way up to harder and harder programs.
Is the Robosapien the way to go. Are there better Robots?
..

better is definitely a matter of perspective, from my perspective i wouldn't bother with robosapien, it won't teach more than programming.

You could hack out the electronics, and replace with your own CPU... Robosapien must have some nice servos?
Also, doesn't robosapien use un-powered joints to generate power? I thought I read something like this, so when weight of robot is "falling", or moving closer to ground (pulled by gravity), the joint that is "taking up this shock" isn't powered, but the servo is spinning, generating power,and storing it back into capacitors or battery.
Rich
the thing only has three motors, I would use this exept i would buy a couple more servos and put them where it needs them. RObosapien two is comming out soon, that should make a nice humanoid robot base if you replaced the cpu with a brainstem or oopic, teh second one will retail for about $200

That's strange, my Robosapien has 7 motors (1 for each leg, 2 for each arm, and 1 for bending left or right). The motors are not servos, though, just DC motors as far as I can tell.
See also http://www.robosapien.com/ and especially http://www.robosapien.tk /
Peter
You might want to check out whitebox robotics for their PC robots...
_Randal
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote in

There are plenty of better robots for programminga and experimenting
http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=1 http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID
http://www.hobbyengineering.com/SectionRK.html#IX1027
http://www.robotstore.com/
http://www.pololu.com/products/robots.html
http://www.robotics.com/index.html

These are good suggestions, but I would also add:
http://www.crustcrawler.com/products/bioloid /
This is a great one because you can start off with a simple wheeled robot, and then (using the same parts) work your way all the way up to Robo-One style bots. It has a pretty friendly programming environment, too (from what I've read at least -- I haven't used it myself).
Best, - Joe